Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester questions. 1892 Trapper 14" Octagon BBL
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Paul
WACA Guest
April 2, 2016 - 4:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello,

I am aware of NFA exemption requirements as that’s not an issue in this case but I have a couple of questions. I was trying to load photos but can’t figure how to do it.

I have a 14 1892 Trapper with an octagon barrel and have a couple questions and appreciate any assistance.

I was trying to determine how many of the 14″ trappers came with the octagon barrel and if they were made within a certain date range.

The main issue I have with this rifle is that it has a heavy patina and only one or two digits of the serial number is readable so I’m trying to determine the age.

It looks to be pretty early but that’s not scientific by any means. I thought maybe the octagon barrel might be able to help date it.

Thank you for any assistance.

Paul

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 2, 2016 - 5:28 pm

Hello Paul,

Technically, your Model 1892 is a “Short Rifle” versus a “Trapper”. The term “Trapper” is associated with Carbines, and most frequently, Saddle Ring Carbines (SRC).

To load pictures directly on the WACA website, you need to be a WACA member. For non-members, you can post a link to your pictures if you load them on a photo hosting website.

Can you tell how many total digits are in the serial number? If you can do that, it will help narrow down the search area. One thing to keep in mind, is that the factory warehouse ledger records only exist for serial numbers 1 – 379,999. If the serial number on your Model 1892 is > 379999, it will not be possible to authenticate it. The markings on the barrel (exactly where they are located, and exact text), and the marking on the upper tang (behind the hammer) will help us identify the period of time that it was manufactured. Make sure that you take clear pictures of all the factory markings.

Michael (2Bit) is the person who will be able to help you with the details on your Short Rifle.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Paul
WACA Guest
April 4, 2016 - 6:10 pm

Thank you very much Bert for the kind response. I will try to get some photos loaded up in a while and see if it’s helpful. Unfortunately I really can’t determine but about one digit of the serial.

Thanks again, Paul

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 6, 2016 - 7:24 pm

I’ve managed to load some photos, thank you.

Any help or advise on this would be appreciated. I purchased a number of old Winchesters recently and this 14″ 1892 is one of them. It basically looks like it’s been left alone for 100 years but who knows. The patina looks right and some pitting or residue in some areas. All the writing is visible and readable but I am having really tough time with the serial number. The number is there but time has just made it really tough to decipher but a couple of digits. The age wear is just in a tough place.

Hopefully the photos indicate that there’s been no defacing or removal of numbers it’s just very, very hard to find much to read but it’s there.

About the rifle itself, it does have a 14″ Octagon barrel and is chambered in 44 WCF. I’m wondering if that would provide any age/date range (maybe octagon barrel vs round barrel etc)? As Bert clarified it’s not a “Trapper” but a short rifle.

Not sure if there’s any pecking order of desirability for short rifles or features but I’d appreciate any information or help.

FINALLY. From what I read at the BATF website, they would likely exempt a rifle like this from NFA regulations whether antique or C&R but I’m just trying to get opinions on this rifle.

Thank you very much, Paul

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 6, 2016 - 7:48 pm

Paul,

Where are the pictures?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 163
April 6, 2016 - 7:53 pm

Bert H. said

Paul,

Where are the pictures?

Bert

Well Bert,

They aren’t in The Twilight Zone,,,,,:confused013:

So they must be in Cyber Space……. :hehe:

"I Would Have Rather Lived Through The Industrial Revaluation"

"Instead of The Space Age"

From

The Twilight Zone

WACA Guest
April 6, 2016 - 8:49 pm

Whoops, let me see what happened? I think they should show now.DSC_4290.JPGImage EnlargerDSC_4295.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
April 6, 2016 - 8:49 pm

I’ve got more photos but froze up after the first two. I’ll add more.

WACA Guest
April 6, 2016 - 9:20 pm

DSC_4290-1.JPGImage EnlargerDSC_4295-1.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
April 6, 2016 - 9:36 pm

DSC_4295-2.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
April 7, 2016 - 2:19 am

Steve,

If the barrel address makings are in front on the forearm cap, contact me. That is where they should be. I am not trying to disparage your gun, but it has been cut, like a lot of others in the era. Just trying to save you the trouble of sending to ATF where they may weld up the chamber.

Walter

WACA Guest
April 7, 2016 - 4:33 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the info, I’m under no illusions about this rifle so I appreciate the information. It took some doing with a toothbrush and a little gun oil to find the markings and it does begin in front of the forearm end cap and continues behind it. The barrel measures exactly 14″ so I was hoping it was factory but sound like it’s not.

I wonder what my best option would be on this rifle?

Paul. (Stephen is my first name but I go by Paul)

Laugh

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
April 7, 2016 - 11:17 pm

Paul,

If a gunsmith says it safe to shoot, then shoot it and enjoy. 14 inch guns are a hoot to shoot.

Walter

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Bill Hockett, steve004, wally, Chuck, 86Win, SureShot
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727