Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Tried out my 'new' Winchester Model 1892 made in 1913, 44 W.C.F.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 29, 2017 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Gentlemen, several months ago I bought an original Winchester Model 1892 made in 1913, chambered in 44 W.C.F. (44-40) to use as a shooter and a hunter. My 62 year-old eyes need a tang sight, so I managed to find an original Lyman tang sight and it arrived today. I opened the box, installed it on my ’92, and headed off to the range forwith to test two different loads.

Photo of my Winchester 1892 44-40 shipped in 1913:
Winchester-1892-44_zpselms4l26.JPGImage Enlarger

First Load:
20 grains of 5744 under a 200 grain cast bullet (Accurate Moulds, gas check) sized to .429″
Velocity: 1,329 fps

Second Load:
18 grains of 5744 under a 200 grain cast bullet (Accurate Moulds, gas check) sized to .431
Velocity: 1,296 fps
A .431″ diameter cast bullet is a snug fit for the final 1/8″ of chambering.

Results:
Load #1: five-shot group at 100 yards = 1 7/8″
Load #2: five-shot group at 100 yards = 1 3/4″

Photos of Targets:

Load #1 …
20-grains.jpgImage Enlarger

Load #2 …
18-grains.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2344
May 30, 2017 - 6:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Nice rifle and good shooting. Years ago, up in the Western Slopes of Colorado, my FIL took me and his son deer hunting. My first time. I had a rifle like yours in the 900,000 range that would bench like yours. Very accurate. I think my loads were 18 grs. of H110 with a 215 gr. gas checked bullet. Despite all the laughs I got from the Colorado natives, I managed to drop 2 deer as my first kills. They were standing side by side and before the first one dropped I got another round into the second deer. The 44-40 is a super deer cartridge for those that like to hunt their deer and not shoot at them with a 06 and a 20X scope at 500 yards. I also used that rifle to shoot ground squirrels in California before they locked up that State. I have 5 44’s now, and have yet to fire any one of them. I don’t shoot my collectable guns.    Big LarryDSCF9563.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
May 30, 2017 - 1:04 pm

Big Larry, that is a admirable collection of 44’s. I can see why you would not want to shoot them. I always have a hard time shooting a Winchester in the higher conditions, for fear I put a fingerprint on it or something. I do shoot them, but always with the greatest care – plenty of soft covering on the bench, no touching metal with my fingers, and always cased except for shooting. That is why I prefer a lower condition rifle for shooting enjoyment, like this ’92. Like you, I’ve taken two Whitetail deer with 44’s, one with an original Model 1873 and the other with an original Model 53.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
May 30, 2017 - 2:54 pm

Good shooting!

James 

WACA Member
May 30, 2017 - 3:33 pm

win38-55 said
Big Larry, that is a admirable collection of 44’s. I can see why you would not want to shoot them. I always have a hard time shooting a Winchester in the higher conditions, for fear I put a fingerprint on it or something. I do shoot them, but always with the greatest care – plenty of soft covering on the bench, no touching metal with my fingers, and always cased except for shooting. That is why I prefer a lower condition rifle for shooting enjoyment, like this ’92. Like you, I’ve taken two Whitetail deer with 44’s, one with an original Model 1873 and the other with an original Model 53.  

The same year, we also had a M1873 Musket and we jumped a Mule Deer out from the bushes and several of us fired. One with the musket. My BIL was the one who killed the deer and the guy with the musket poked two neat holes right through the deer’s ears.  I also have a M53 in 44-40, a solid frame # 507. paid to much for this rifle to be taking it out hunting. I will test fire it this summer though. I must admit, I have a lot of Safe Queens, nothing spectacular like some folks on this Forum, but nice, honest, 100% correct, rifles and carbines. If I was ever to hunt again, I would use my 1952 vintage M94 in 30-30. It is a shooter I got in a trade for $250. I have to be careful handling my guns. I have many, and I make sure they are rubbed down and put away dry. Many of the high dollar guns are Ren-Waxed. Here are a few.   Big LarryDSCF9534.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
May 30, 2017 - 6:18 pm

Big Larry, that stable of carbines is a real pleasure to admire. Thanks for sharing! I checked and your Model 53 is safely in my survey. I’ve got 655 Model 53’s in there as of today, at least 4.3% of total production.

Kirk

WACA Member
May 30, 2017 - 9:55 pm

win38-55 said
Big Larry, that stable of carbines is a real pleasure to admire. Thanks for sharing! I checked and your Model 53 is safely in my survey. I’ve got 655 Model 53’s in there as of today, at least 4.3% of total production.

Kirk  

I paid a ton of $$$ for my 44 M53, but it is pretty nice with the usual receiver spotting.  Big Larry

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2298
May 30, 2017 - 10:51 pm

Hi Kirk,

Nice looking rifle and fine shooting.   I agree with you that it is great to have some very shootable rifles around that you don’t have to have a heart attack over if they get a bit of dirt on them.   I assume that I have your rifle in my survey?

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
May 30, 2017 - 11:44 pm

Good shooting! Rather odd bench rest equipment but it seems to be working for you.;-)

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 31, 2017 - 2:08 am

TXGunNut said
Good shooting! Rather odd bench rest equipment but it seems to be working for you.;-)  

Ha ha! Actually, I rest my rifle on my shooting bag. I’d love to try it out in a real bench rest, but then I’d have to lug it to the range and back all the time.

WACA Member
June 1, 2017 - 3:25 am

win38-55 said

Ha ha! Actually, I rest my rifle on my shooting bag. I’d love to try it out in a real bench rest, but then I’d have to lug it to the range and back all the time.  

I use bags myself with an adjustable front rest. I don’t own many rifles that will take full advantage of a good bench rest, a good adjustable front rest and bag coupled with a nice big rear bag seem to bring out the best in my old Winchesters. I generally do best with the front bag as close as possible to the receiver but my shooting buddy bags it pretty close to the other end of the fore end.

All kidding aside that’s a nice display rack, I try to keep one out all the time and my shooting buddy has a way with wood.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
August 15, 2017 - 1:40 am

Good shooting, Kirk. I’ve berated myself for selling that rifle for awhile now.

Hopefully you will get an opportunity to kill a deer with it this fall.

Mike

WACA Member
August 15, 2017 - 12:58 pm

Mike, I’ve not decided for sure which of my vintage rifles I’ll be using for deer hunting this fall, but this one is in #1 spot. I’ve had several 44-40’s over the years but this one is remarkably accurate, at least with this particular cast bullet I use.

WACA Member
August 15, 2017 - 11:22 pm

Take the 1892! Mine went along last year but never got uncased, will try again this year. What’s that Accurate mould number? Some of Tom’s designs make awesome hunting bullets.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
August 17, 2017 - 3:18 pm

TXGunNut said
What’s that Accurate mould number? Some of Tom’s designs make awesome hunting bullets.  

My Accurate Mould is a 3-cavity, brass mould #43-200B. If I were ordering another one, I think I might increase the lube groove width, but the resulting thinner driving band might let some gas through …. hard to say. Right now, as it is, it is much more accurate than the one other cast bullet I’ve tried (I think it was an RCBS Cowboy variety, but not sure … I sold the mould).

North Carolina
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 138
February 11, 2018 - 1:26 am

Great shooting!!!!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters: