Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1892 with “special order” features…
Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2518
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
1
September 15, 2023 - 12:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

1911 production.  Yes, the double set trigger is unusual, and a non checkered pistol grip stock is certainly uncommon…

BUT…

It conveniently doesn’t letter.

Spoiler:  You have a rifle with considerable wear and yet you have a pristine nickel plated (not silver, which was a possibility according to the advertisement) forearm cap and buttplate.  It’s unlikely that these were originally nickel plated to begin with.  And the wood appears to be refinished..  

A learning exercise.  Perhaps I am wrong ?.

 

IMG_2004.jpegIMG_2005.jpegIMG_2006.jpegIMG_2007.jpegIMG_2008.jpegIMG_2009.jpegIMG_2010.jpegIMG_2011.jpegIMG_2012.jpegIMG_2013.jpegIMG_2014.jpegIMG_2015.jpegIMG_2016.jpegIMG_2017.jpegIMG_2018.jpegIMG_2019.jpegIMG_2020.jpegIMG_2021.jpegIMG_2022.jpegIMG_2023.jpeg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Avatar
twobit
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2739
Member Since:
March 20, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
September 15, 2023 - 3:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good morning,

I first saw this rifle back in October of 2011 from a previous owner.  Nothing has changed since then and the butt plate and end cap are definitely not original.  The unique point is that the #2 Style of tang stamp was pretty much phased out in early 1909 and this SN corresponds to mid 1911.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

 

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2518
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
3
September 15, 2023 - 3:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

twobit said
Good morning,

I first saw this rifle back in October of 2011 from a previous owner.  Nothing has changed since then and the butt plate and end cap are definitely not original.  The unique point is that the #2 Style of tang stamp was pretty much phased out in early 1909 and this SN corresponds to mid 1911.

Michael

  

Unique…or problematic?

I wouldn’t exactly be reaching for my wallet to pay the $3900 asking price for this rifle—nor anywhere near that.

I just bring this up as a learning experience for others to learn from.  It’s obvious its problems to me, but some others have a different opinion.

Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2518
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
4
September 18, 2023 - 12:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s amazing how much of a blessing that this rifle receives on another forum.  I don’t want to post a link here, as I’m afraid of the repercussions (the folks over there can be close minded), and it is in the classifieds.  But it’s amazing the praises this rifle is receiving.  I say “do not pass go!”

Its in the classifieds section of a forum devoted to a high quality shotgun once manufactured in Meriden, Connecticut, if you want to check it out.

Avatar
Chuck
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6865
Member Since:
March 31, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
September 18, 2023 - 5:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Many shotgun guys love pretty restored guns.

Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2518
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
6
September 18, 2023 - 9:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chuck said
Many shotgun guys love pretty restored guns. 

As much as I like Parker shotguns, and am now a lifetime member of the Parker Gun Collector’s Association, the restored stuff makes me quickly lose interest.  I actually had it out with someone on that forum about how an earlier unrestored Parker was better than a later restored Parker.  They seem to think that ANTIQUE status is less desirable than something much newer and restored is okay.

I like British shotguns but the cost and the fact so many are restored makes me steer clear.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, mrcvs, JWA, deerhunter, Tedk, DEEREHART, Henry Mero, TXGunNut, Michael Elli, Logan
Guest(s) 418
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7637
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6865
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2739
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2390
Newest Members:
Anthony Eisenlohr
kik595
DavidM
skilsaw7.25
Kevin Paradis
Vny777
Brick767
Steve72
E.S.Blofeld
Keith gun
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16286
Posts: 149057

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10977
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation