I have a Winchester 1886 in .40-82 that was made in approx 1890 that has some different barrel markings from others I have seen. It is a round barrel standard rifle length. The lines surrounding the markings are more like a sideways ‘Y’ than a dash. Others 1886 Winchesters I have seen had the dashes enclosing the markings.
The above picture shows the markings.
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14797
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
April 15, 2005
OnlineThe sideways “Y” was used for all Winchester round barrel address markings, and on all models in production at the time when your Model 1886 as manufactured. I have seen many dozens of Model 1885 Single Shot rifle barrels with the exact same style marking.
Bert
WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., floatshoe, Byron Russell, btbell, Zebulon, Pat P, Green River Gus
Guest(s) 99
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7653
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6878
steve004: 5850
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2746
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2395
Newest Members:
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
KKeller515
steeler
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16322
Posts: 149423
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10997
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
© Simple:Press —
Log In
Offline
