Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester model 1894 32-40
Avatar
jerry thomas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 109
Member Since:
April 2, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
November 29, 2020 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does the 32-40 suffer from the same bore problem, overxize bore, as the 38-55 does?

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7645
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
November 29, 2020 - 4:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not that I’m aware of, Jerry. My 1885 In 32-40 prefers .323” bullets, land diameter .315, groove diameter .321. It’s the only one I’ve worked with but others around here seem to have bores with similar dimensions. IMHO the vintage 38-55’s are not oversized, modern ammo is undersized. The vintage 38-55’s I enjoy have bores of .380 and modern ammo is made to work in today’s .375 bore rifles. A good example is the .375 Winchester. It looks very much like the 38-55 but is very different. 

What issues are you having?

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
jerry thomas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 109
Member Since:
April 2, 2016
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
November 29, 2020 - 4:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mike , I really am not having any issues.  It was just a question that came up with a couple friends.  I have a 32-40 with a very good bore and use ammo that I purchased that used 38-55 brass and really do not have a problem.  Both the other guys have accuracy problems.  Of course I did not see the bore on their rifles.

I had a 375 and of course ammo problems, rather the cost of ammo was the real problem.  You would not believe what some people who I had a lot of confidence in told me ammo that would work including 375 HH and 38-55.  I finally found a couple boxes for $ 75 each and was able to sell the rifle since I gave a box of ammo with it.  I still have a box of 375 to sell when I start going to gun shows again.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: 1ned1, deerhunter, Bill Jokela, Anthony #5411, TR, [email protected], Pwog, kevindpm61
Guest(s) 213
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7645
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5848
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3074
twobit: 2743
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2519
Zebulon: 2393
Newest Members:
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
KKeller515
steeler
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16309
Posts: 149264

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10992
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation