Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1876 assembly numbers & barrel numbers
Avatar
Darrin Smith
Central Kansas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 270
Member Since:
March 21, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
August 7, 2021 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I recently had my ’76 apart, Ser. #2332, here is what I found. I’m pretty sure the tang number on the stock is different from the lower tang stamp. I’d guess the breech bolt is stamped with the last three serial numbers. I have no idea what the letters on the under side of the barrel represent. Any ideas/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Darrin1876-lower-tang-number.jpg1876-breech-bolt-.jpg1876-tang-stamp.jpg1876-barrel-stamp-2.jpg1876-barrel-stamp.jpg

Avatar
win4575
Montana
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 742
Member Since:
November 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
August 8, 2021 - 2:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Numbers and letters on barrel are inspection marks.  Tang marking is the assembly number.  This number will match tang inlet on buttstock and toe of butt plate.  If it does not match stock or plate, then one or both have been replaced.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., 30gov03, Blue Ridge Parson, Bo Rich, MidwestCrisis, BPJACK, Honest Jon
Guest(s) 705
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7643
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5847
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3072
twobit: 2741
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16303
Posts: 149194

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10987
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation