Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 94 30-30 1954 vintage - Front Barrel Band replacement - different than post-64?
Avatar
WINCHKRZY
Fayetteville, TN.
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
August 5, 2020
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
August 17, 2020 - 4:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a “new” front barrel band purchased from a fellow that had acquired many parts from a gunsmith estate sale.  I’m certain this is a post-64 production item, as it looks brand new, never installed.  

I went to install it and it doesn’t fit my magazine tube.  Measuring with a digital micrometer, the tube is .642, and the inside diameter of the band is .632.  It’s .010 too small.

It definitely doesn’t fit.  The front band I am replacing is about .647, so .015 larger. 

QUESTION: Am I correct that the post-64 barrel bands are a different size on the Model 94 30-30s ?

QUESTION: Does any forum friend here have one they could sell me? (I’ve scoured the web and no luck at this time)

Thanks!
Bruce in TN. 

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14781
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2
August 18, 2020 - 1:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bruce,

I have no idea what size the barrel bands are on the post-1963 production “clunker: Model 94 Carbines. That stated, it would not surprise me if they are not interchangeable with a pre-64 Model 94 Carbine. My suggestion would be to find a pre-64 carbine barrel band.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
WINCHKRZY
Fayetteville, TN.
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
August 5, 2020
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
August 18, 2020 - 1:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bert, Thanks for your thoughts on my challenge.  I just need to get lucky and find a pre-64 band from a known origin.  

Avatar
WINCHKRZY
Fayetteville, TN.
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
Member Since:
August 5, 2020
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
August 19, 2020 - 12:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I DID get lucky yesterday and found a front band measuring the .647 I need.  When I put up the original post here Monday, there were none on eBay.  Yesterday morning, there were five.  After asking for measurements to confirm fit, I found one.  Some of the other measurements were .642 and .637, and another one @ .650.  Looks like before purchasing one of these front barrel bands for a Model 94 it is important to get measurements to make sure it will fit!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., JWA, deerhunter, Mark Douglas, Tedk, TR, Zebulon, Turbo 1886
Guest(s) 1087
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7645
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5848
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3074
twobit: 2743
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
KKeller515
steeler
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16309
Posts: 149252

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10992
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation