Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 takedown problem
Avatar
juniorB
Guest
Guests
1
April 15, 2016 - 5:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have just been given a tired, old 1894 takedown that I want to restore as a wall hanger – unfortunately it’s worn out. I can’t take it down – I open the action and flip up the lever on the end of the magazine and try to turn it counterclockwise but it won’t budge. Any suggestions on where to begin? I’d appreciate any thoughts!

Avatar
1873man
Wisconsin
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4993
Member Since:
May 2, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
April 15, 2016 - 5:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Open the action and shoot some penetrating oil down the mag tube and another shot from the front by the forearm cap and leave it sit a while. It can be the threads of the mag tube rusted or the tube rusted in the forearm wood.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Avatar
juniorB
Guest
Guests
3
April 17, 2016 - 5:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ll give it a go and let you know…thanks Bob.

Avatar
juniorB
Guest
Guests
4
April 24, 2016 - 4:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did as you suggested, Bob, and with some GENTLE tapping on the magazine plug lever she gave way and unscrewed. The barrel was another challenge but after several applications of solvent to the base of the barrel inside the receiver and some more GENTLE tapping with a nylon mallet the barrel came off. Interesting…there is a full-size shim between the barrel assembly and the receiver. Thanks again, Bob, 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: 86Win, Zebulon
Guest(s) 730
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7643
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5846
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3072
twobit: 2741
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16301
Posts: 149180

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10987
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation