Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1890 top bolt screw
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 73
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 11, 2013 - 12:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just purchased an 1890 in 22 SHORT. Very happy with it condition wise but it has a screw missing on the top of the bolt assembly. There are 2 screws the same part number according to various parts diagrams I have found but just one is missing. I knew this buying the rifle and hoped and assumed I suppose it just needed a replacement screw. The gentleman gave me 2 replacement screws. Upon trying to put one of these in I soon discovered the existing or original screw perhaps was broken off in there plus there was none if very little thread there to even get started on before I could bottom out on the broken off piece. Is this a problem with 1890’s in general. I realize a skilled gunsmith or even skilled machinist should be able to tap into whats left and get the piece out but what about the lack of thread?. Its a lovely old rifle and I don’t intend to shoot it but would like get a screw in there to make it complete. Any comments or solutions wold be welcomed. Thank you

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 55
August 11, 2013 - 2:49 pm

Unusual for that screw to break but anything is possible
I would take it to a skilled person for removal as although it is quite straight forward to get out (with the correct equipment) it is going to be mighty fiddly

WACA Guest
August 11, 2013 - 9:24 pm

It’s very unusual for that tiny screw to break off. Not a common occurrence on the 1890. Depending on the finish on top of the bolt you have some options. If there’s little or no finish it might be easier to replace the bolt. Just make sure you get the correct bolt. They are routinely available.
Be aware that it’s not always a simple take one out and put one in; can require a gunsmith to fit it.
If the bolt still has a lot of finish (as with many higher finish rifles) then it might be worth getting a good gunsmith to remove the broken screw. The screws are also routinely available.
If you have a first model 1890 then work with the bolt you have.
First step in my mind would be to have a gunsmith remove it and possibly re-tap the threads. AND, preferably a smith that has done work on 1890’s. Then get a replacement or a good original screw.
If the bolt is just not repairable then look for a bolt. Third model bolts are the most common. Good luck. (in any event it shouldn’t effect the operation)

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 73
August 13, 2013 - 12:11 pm

Thanks guys..I will find a smithy here in AZ and see what the deal is

Gunny Bill
WACA Guest
January 19, 2019 - 6:39 pm

You could drill & tap it out to a 4-40 screw.

I use brass screw as the heads are a little easier to file down so not so noticeable, but any 4-40 should fite it drilled & taped properly.

Drop of black or blue finish on steel. Paint on brass.

Then you can always take it out if need be.

Other option is drill hole all the way thru to bottom and put another pin in. This give option of driving pin out if need be in future.

It allows you to use the bolt. Unless you are trying to do a clean restoration.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 881
January 20, 2019 - 2:14 am

I wouldn’t do an oversize hole, the firing pin stop is paper thin on the edges of the screw holes to begin with. If you go oversize you will probably cut the firing pin stop into two pieces. It will take a skilled smith to get that broken screw out. If I recall the screw is a 2×56. It’s like doing micro surgery. If you can’t find any one to do it another bolt is a good option. All the pieces ( firing pin, extractor, bolt stop) are compatible throughout the first, second and third models. First and second model bolts are identical and third models are their own thing. A decent clean stripped bolt will run about $50

Good luck,

Erin

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, Range Ranger
Guest(s) 130
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571