Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 .22 short (1891) magazine spring clip needed >>&g
Avatar
1911tex
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 24
Member Since:
September 5, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
September 10, 2013 - 10:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can view the circular spring clip with "ears" and cartridge stop that slips down the mag tube about 3/16" and locks/releases cartridges as seen below (scroll down to picture #6):

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/the-american-west/case-42-the-guns-that-won-the-west-colt-winchester/winchester-model-1873-lever-action-rifle-(1).aspx

I contacted John Taylor and he is on the fence about producing this item…I believe he can do it right and provide a product that seems to be in demand because the spring arm that locks the cartridges in is typically broken off the spring clip…..allowing the .22 shorts to unload before inserting in the outer tube below the bbl.

Note: I soldered a piece of piano wire onto the spring clip and it seems to work…..but I would much rather have an original piece.

Does someone have an original spring clip that is not broken ???

Avatar
1911tex
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 24
Member Since:
September 5, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
September 11, 2013 - 6:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Never mind folks…..I found a complete inner magazine tube made in USA, from http://www.homesteadparts.com . Very, very expensive, but my ’73 .22 short is worth it. It is in 90%++ condition and a great family heirloom, passed down from generation to generation that will be continued. I dont think it has had more than a hundred rounds since 1891, the year of manufacture. The rifle has a very high value according to all the stats; however, it will never be sold.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 333
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7647
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6868
steve004: 5848
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3074
twobit: 2744
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2519
Zebulon: 2393
Newest Members:
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
KKeller515
steeler
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16314
Posts: 149307

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10995
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation