Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester model 1901
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 10, 2017 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It sure seems there is not much of a market or demand for these. For such a unique item with low production numbers I would think they would command a much steeper price than they do. The only thing I don’t care for on them is the short hammer spur, which with cold or gloved fingers could be problematic.  What are your thoughts on these neat old lever guns?

Erin

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
April 10, 2017 - 7:29 pm

I’ve only encountered a few 1887’s or 1901’s. Price seemed pretty reasonable but I’ve never felt the need to add one to my little collection. Rather intriguing design.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Cedar City, Utah
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 74
April 10, 2017 - 10:01 pm

Erin Grivicich said
It sure seems there is not much of a market or demand for these. For such a unique item with low production numbers I would think they would command a much steeper price than they do. The only thing I don’t care for on them is the short hammer spur, which with cold or gloved fingers could be problematic.  What are your thoughts on these neat old lever guns?

Erin  

Check out this one:

Model 1901

WACA Guest
April 11, 2017 - 2:09 am

TXGunNut said
I’ve only encountered a few 1887’s or 1901’s. Price seemed pretty reasonable but I’ve never felt the need to add one to my little collection. Rather intriguing design.  

Maybe it’s just me but I believe anybody that has a liking for lever guns would certainly want one of these in the stable. I mean really, where else are you going to get a lever action 10 gauge.Wink

WACA Guest
April 11, 2017 - 2:15 am

tsbccut said

Check out this one:

Model 1901  

That is a beauty and priced accordingly………..

Erin

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
April 11, 2017 - 3:38 am

I didn’t realize they made the M1901 out that late until I saw the ’01 on the barrel and knew it had be 1919 or so. They are a really cool action in the way they roll rather than slide, and amazingly smooth for being such a monstrosity. I always wondered why the WRA monogram on the receiver wasn’t used on any other models other than the 1887 and 1901?

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
April 12, 2017 - 5:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

My son picked up a really nice one, 90% or so on the blueing. The wood is in good-very good condition and I believe it to have factory checkering and recoil pad. I don’t believe it is a deluxe as the wood is straight grained and nothing fancy about it. The condition of the pad is representative of being 100+ years old.  I’m kind of envious of his find, but seeing the younger generation with an appreciation for quality old guns is certainly gratifying.

Erin

WACA Member
April 13, 2017 - 2:32 am

I agree, Erin. You’ve raised the boy right. Only problem I have with the 1901 is that as far as I can tell they’re all 10 ga. I like to shoot my old Winchesters and I don’t think I’d enjoy shooting (or buying) 10 ga shells. OTOH there is an occasional trap shooter at our club that sometimes shows up with a 10. Like the early (pre-JMB) Winchesters I’m fascinated by the action. I’m also intrigued by the accounts that JMB reluctantly designed the 1887/1901 to appease Bennett, possibly so that he could move on to other projects that interested him.

You’re quite right, Erin. No self-respecting fan of JMB or lever guns in general can avoid adding an 1887 or 1901 to his collection. If you hear of some nut-job shooting trap in Texas with a lever-action shotgun please remind me to send pics. 😉 

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Guest
April 13, 2017 - 3:10 am

They would probably put you on the cover of shooting times………..True, the 01’s were all ten’s but they were only chambered 2 7/8″ which contained basically a heavy 12 ga. load. My son (he is 32) found some outfit making new ammo in 2 7/8″ loaded with an 1 1/4 oz. load. ( I believe he said they were a buck a pop) I fired a few shells and felt recoil was minimal. He picked up a Mec 10 ga. press and is gathering components to roll his own. Plans to load 1 5/8 oz. of #5’s for pheasants. Don’t know if he will try and locate some Bismuth for waterfowl. Can’t wait for the look on his face when he dumps his first bird with it. He was doing very well busting clay birds with it. I will take a few pics of it this weekend and post them.

Erin

Al Peterson
WACA Guest
May 13, 2017 - 5:51 pm

I always liked these! My grandfather was a duck hunter and used one and an old Ithaca 10 ga; to hunt sea ducks in Boston Harbor. My brother and I would buy shells one at a time from the local hardware store and take turns carrying that monster. I picked up one a few years ago to shoot and it will do a great job on the trap range. Ammo is available in 2 7/8 low pressure loads. or load your own smokeless  loads for them. The long throw of the lever makes it hard to go after the doubles game though.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
February 21, 2018 - 6:17 am

While in my safe over the weekend I dug out a couple of lever action shotguns and thought I would share a photo. I have had them over 40 years. They spent their early years in South Dakota and I bet they shot a few birds – I have never shot either of them. I rarely see these for sale and when I do they seem to command a lot of money. The bottom one with the blued frame is a Model 1901 in 10 gauge and the top gun with a case hardened frame is a Model 1887 in 12 gauge. They are certainly not my favorite Winchester lever guns but I am surprised they do not get more interest and respect than they do. Burt

leveractionshotguns.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
February 21, 2018 - 6:32 am

Very nice, Burt. I suspect they are no one’s favorite lever guns but an important part of the Winchester/Browning story, nonetheless.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
February 21, 2018 - 3:51 pm

Burt Humphrey said
While in my safe over the weekend I dug out a couple of lever action shotguns and thought I would share a photo. I have had them over 40 years. They spent their early years in South Dakota and I bet they shot a few birds – I have never shot either of them. I rarely see these for sale and when I do they seem to command a lot of money. The bottom one with the blued frame is a Model 1901 in 10 gauge and the top gun with a case hardened frame is a Model 1887 in 12 gauge. They are certainly not my favorite Winchester lever guns but I am surprised they do not get more interest and respect than they do. Burt

I like them, but then again, I am very partial to John Browning’s early work.  I suspect that the primary reason they do not get as much interest is due to the limited number of them still surviving today.  Based on my various surveys, the survival rate for the old shotgun models is significantly less than it is for the rifle models.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 21, 2018 - 9:35 pm

Burt Humphrey said

Very nice Burt, both of them appear to be in very nice condition. With low production numbers I too find it hard to believe they are not in a higher demand category. Very little to no discussion on them here. They are a hoot to shoot, lots of fun!

Erin

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 51
February 22, 2018 - 9:06 pm

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/1-10-Gauge.aspx

I used these RSTs in all of my 10s. Is the chamber on a 1901 2-5/8″ or 2-7/8″?

GMC(SW) - USN Retired 1978 - 2001

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
February 22, 2018 - 9:12 pm

The chamber length for the Model 1887 and 1901 10-ga shotguns was 2-7/8″. The 12-ga Model 1887 and Model 1893 was 2-5/8″.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 2, 2018 - 5:11 pm

I like them too.  It seems the deluxe versions have been very collectable for the past many years.  Oh, and the M1887 in .70-150 will catch some interest too  😉  More so if you happen to have some original shells to go with it.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 2, 2018 - 5:20 pm

By the way, it’s worth watching Terminator 2 just to watch Arnold working that short barreled M1887.  Actually, they altered four of them for the movie:

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Winchester_Model_1887

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 3, 2018 - 8:52 pm

Bert H. said
The chamber length for the Model 1887 and 1901 10-ga shotguns was 2-7/8″. The 12-ga Model 1887 and Model 1893 was 2-5/8″.
Bert  

My 1887 10 ga. is 2-5/8″  First bought 2-7/8″ brass and it was too long.

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
March 4, 2018 - 4:46 am

I got a few astonished looks from the guys when I pulled out my 9410 at the farm where my brother and I where Quail hunting. It was a blast even if the cage-raised birds couldn’t come near the escape abilities of wild birds. Ridiculously cost of about $20/bird.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tom D, 86Win, Green River Gus
Guest(s) 165
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601