Designed by the Browning Brothers, the Model 1890 was Winchester’s first slide-action rifle, and chambered for the .22 caliber rimfire Short, Long, Long Rifle and Winchester Rimfire (WRF).
The First Models were offered exclusively in solid frame; subsequent models were offered also in takedown configuration. All first and early second models had case hardened receivers. After approximately 1901, with the introduction of the third model, all receivers were blued. Special features include pistol grip and straight grip fancy checkered walnut stocks.
Original Winchester factory records are available for this model from the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming, from serial number 1 thru 19999, and 30000 thru 329999.