Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
270 W.C.F. Target Load
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Winchester, VA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 977
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 8, 2020 - 6:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Roger-

I don’t usually post photos of my recent acquisitions on WACA (probably for fear of ridiculeLaugh) but you got me inspired so I recently found this pre-war M70 target rifle in 270 WCF on GunBroker of all places.  I rarely even look at GB and hadn’t bought anything more than a box of vintage ammo from there in about 5 years.  Anyway, the rifle cleaned up rather well IMHO::

01.jpegImage Enlarger03.jpegImage Enlarger06.jpegImage Enlarger07.jpegImage Enlarger12.jpegImage Enlarger

The S/N is 50628, so very close to yours…

Anyway my question…  How’s your target/accuracy load development coming?  I’m afraid my friend Tedk is going to want to give this one a “test drive” so I’d better start working on finding a load that it will like!!!Wink

Best,

Lou

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA 9519; Studying Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
February 12, 2020 - 2:06 am

I have never worked up a target load  but for Elk I worked up a power punch 140gr. Nosler Accubond behind a max load of IMR4350. Around here in Southern Oregon they say 270 to light. They’re wrong. 

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
February 12, 2020 - 3:44 am

rogertherelic said
I have acquired a Model 70 Target rifle in 270 W.C.F. Ser. #50439.  It’s in very good to excellent condition and no extra holes.  The bore seems perfect.

Looked on the internet and found that there isn’t a lot positive information concerning the 270 as a target cartridge.

Anyone here on the forum done any reloading with good results?

Thanks, Roger  

Roger, I cant speak for shooting 270 rounds through a Winchester Model 70 (dont own one yet but its on the list) but I have loaded for my Remington Model 700 in 270 that Ive had for about 40 years now.  It took a while of trial and error and advice from a friend to arrive at a load that worked for the rifle.  I tried 140 grain bullets but got inconsistent groups then switched to the 130 grain bullets and groups tightened considerably.  I tried loads using IMR 4350 and H4831SC finding the H4831SC grouped the best for my rifle.  The targets below where shot at 100 yards and are for different H4831SC loads tried using a CCI large rifle primer (#200) and Nosler 130 grain ballistic tip bullet.  Loaded to 3.320″ OACL.  Maybe give you something to follow up on in the loading data available before you try.  Im a fan of Nosler bullets for all my modern rifle loads for target and game.  Wasnt a fan of their accubond bullets though.  Also, take a look at the Nosler website for load data to accompany their bullets to find a fit for your rifle.  Thats where I started for my 270 and 7MM Rem Mag. 

https://load-data.nosler.com/

DSC07889.JPGImage Enlarger

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
February 12, 2020 - 5:01 am

Vince said
I have never worked up a target load  but for Elk I worked up a power punch 140gr. Nosler Accubond behind a max load of IMR4350. Around here in Southern Oregon they say 270 to light. They’re wrong.   

I have killed a ton of elk in SW Wa. with the .270. Usually 130 gr bullets. I’ve taken bears and even a dall sheep with it also. (maybe 100 deer) But I eventually upgraded to a .300 mag for a lot of my hunting. For moose I have taken them with obsolete lever guns all the way up to then .458. Now days if I take the .270 out, it has a 140 grain Hornady bullet in the tube.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 12, 2020 - 5:03 pm

Old Logger said

I have killed a ton of elk in SW Wa. with the .270. Usually 130 gr bullets. I’ve taken bears and even a dall sheep with it also. (maybe 100 deer) But I eventually upgraded to a .300 mag for a lot of my hunting. For moose I have taken them with obsolete lever guns all the way up to then .458. Now days if I take the .270 out, it has a 140 grain Hornady bullet in the tube.  

My friend in Idaho went the other way.  He always used a 300 Win Mag.  He now has a 6.5 Creedmore.  He sent me pictures last year of the elk he got.  Shot placement is the key.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
February 12, 2020 - 5:42 pm

Chuck said

My friend in Idaho went the other way.  He always used a 300 Win Mag.  He now has a 6.5 Creedmore.  He sent me pictures last year of the elk he got.  Shot placement is the key.  

I recently picked up a Winchester 70 Super Grade in .264 Magnum. My brother has taken a pile of deer and elk with his. I’m thinking this will be what I take to Wyoming this fall.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
February 20, 2020 - 6:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I haven’t had a chance to shoot the 270 since Sept.  Other shooting matches have been going on the day I get out to the range.  Also a few other times it has been very windy.  I am really pleased that Lewis was able to find such a nice 270 Target.  Now I am the envious one!  Taking into consideration the information offered that my load was over the limit, I pulled all the bullets from my previous loading of The Varget powder.  I had used a matching load of 4064 powder I found in a “Speer” reloading manual #9 from 1976.  I purchased the new #15 Manual which shows a maximum load of 47 gr. for IMR 4064 and I decided to try 46.0 gr. of Varget.  Hopefully Monday will prove to be a nice day. 

Thanks guys.

P.S. I just found where I got my original loading information.  On the HODGDON loading sight. “Varget max. 48.0 gr.”  “4064 max. 47.3 gr.”  I do my best to be careful when I reload and “DO NOT” go over the MAX.  I feel vindicated.

WACA Member
February 21, 2020 - 5:42 pm

Roger are you shooting a Speer bullet?  What weight?  I can cross reference your loads from the Sierra manual.  They show a target load using the Sierra 135 gr. Matchking bullet with 46.3 of Varget as the max load.

Sorry Roger.  I just went back and re read the whole thread.  If I can help let me know.  I have a lot of manuals. 

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
February 23, 2020 - 1:58 am

Thanks, hope to see what happens come Monday.  

Monday results:  Shot 5 groups at 100 yards.  This was the final group: (Note: I wear progressive correction glasses and have a difficult time with target acquisition).

270-target-003.JPGImage Enlarger270-target-002.JPGImage Enlarger Shots #1 and #2 were point of aim to make certain of scope setting.  #3 thru #6 were center aim.  Winchester 130 gr. Power Point bullet (old yellow box),   46.0 gr. Hodgdon Varget powder.  CCI #200 large rifle primers.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
March 11, 2020 - 1:36 pm

Bert H. said
Chuck,

The military teaches the 6 o’clock hold sighting method.  Simply put the crosshair (or the top of the front sight), on the bottom (6 o’clock) of the bulls-eye.  It is how you should aim/sight all handguns, and it works well with a rifle if you are experienced at doing it.

Bert  

Totally agree! It makes a significant improvement.

WACA Member
March 11, 2020 - 4:52 pm

I am really concerned about rifle accuracy and I want the bullet to hit exactly where I aim.  So if I put the crosshairs or top of the sight at a certain spot that is where I want it to hit.  You have to remember the Military is teaching you to hit a man size target.  With my old eyes your method works for me when shooting pistols.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
March 15, 2020 - 3:02 am

Chuck I agree with you 100%.  I have used your method of aiming all my life (with the exception of a short time spent in the U.S. Army).  Only recently did I start using the 6 o’clock hold to see how sighting the rifle at 100 yards to hit right on at 300 yards would work.  Since I currently have no reason to want to hit something at 300 yards I believe that when I use a scope I will return to putting the cross hairs to point of aim.  Thanks!  Some times the ‘old ways’ are better.  Roger B

WACA Member
March 15, 2020 - 6:03 pm

rogertherelic said
Chuck I agree with you 100%.  I have used your method of aiming all my life (with the exception of a short time spent in the U.S. Army).  Only recently did I start using the 6 o’clock hold to see how sighting the rifle at 100 yards to hit right on at 300 yards would work.  Since I currently have no reason to want to hit something at 300 yards I believe that when I use a scope I will return to putting the cross hairs to point of aim.  Thanks!  Some times the ‘old ways’ are better.  Roger B  

Depending upon the bullet you use and the initial fps etc. the average 130 grain will drop about 10″ at 300 yds if zero’d in at 100 yds.  Heavier bullets will drop more. For normal hunting distances zeroing the load to hit about 2″ high at 100 yds will cover most shots.  For longer shots zeroing at a further distance is better. My target gun is zero’d at 200 yards. From there I have to learn the drop out to the 600 yds I sometimes shoot out to. I also use a target reticle.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303