Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1895 Range Day
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 14, 2020 - 3:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

She’s not pretty but at her age, who cares? Did a little ammo testing with a ca. 1907 Model 1895 in 30US today. Tough job, but somebody’s got to do it, right? WinkSweet little 57 got a little range time, too. It was in the rack as a visual aid for JWA’s book and I can’t recall shooting it. Seems I don’t have any pics of the 57. Frown Maybe next time.

DF31C6A2-3769-4364-8084-5CD5E1F1DBD9.jpegImage Enlarger

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
September 14, 2020 - 12:16 pm

Mike,

Nice model 1895. Did she shoot well?

Al

WACA Member
September 14, 2020 - 12:57 pm

Thanks, Al. She did OK, found a load that she seemed to like. Bore isn’t the best and the sights are a bit difficult for me so it’s just a fun project. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6364
September 15, 2020 - 2:28 am

They weren’t taking these to Camp Perry.  If you got 3 MOA, you ain’t doing bad.  If you got 2 MOA, jump for joy!

WACA Member
September 15, 2020 - 4:26 pm

Accuracy isn’t a high priority with this project, Clarence. She makes me smile and the black gun guys don’t have a clue why. Something about that action clanging around and falling out of the bottom of the receiver maybe, could be those long shiny cast bullets. I don’t know. 😉

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
NY
WACA Member
September 15, 2020 - 10:48 pm

TXGunNut said
 Something about that action clanging around and falling out of the bottom of the receiver maybe…

Mike

That’s it–like freight cars being coupled together!  I’d rather work the action than shoot it!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
September 16, 2020 - 5:49 pm

Never shot my 30-40 but my 35 WCF kicks as bad as a 45-70.  Not much fun when firing for load development. Still haven’t figured out why my 35 shoots so high and it might be some time before I shoot it again.

WACA Member
September 17, 2020 - 1:46 am

30US/30-40 Krag has a very mild recoil due to the low velocity of the round and the mass of the rifle; comparable to a 38 or 44WCF in an 1892. Ammo is a bit of a chore but once you’ve re-sized a handful of 303 brass down to the correct shape and cast a pile of NOE 312-208 (311299 clone) gas checked bullets it’s really no big deal. 

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
September 17, 2020 - 2:29 pm

Mike,

Why would you resize 303 brass ? 30-40 Krag ammo and components are readily available.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 2:07 am

Bert H. said
Mike,
Why would you resize 303 brass ? 30-40 Krag ammo and components are readily available.  

Bert-

I wasn’t able to locate 30-40 brass at that time. I know one company does a run occasionally but Hornady 303 brass is always available and is very good brass. I don’t have a 303 in the house these days so not concerned about the incorrect headstamp.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
NY
WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 3:01 am

TXGunNut said

I don’t have a 303 in the house these days so not concerned about the incorrect headstamp. 

What’s more, you have an excuse to wear this:

https://teespring.com/shop/rule-303?pid=2&cid=566

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
September 18, 2020 - 4:03 am

TXGunNut said

Bert-

I wasn’t able to locate 30-40 brass at that time. I know one company does a run occasionally but Hornady 303 brass is always available and is very good brass. I don’t have a 303 in the house these days so not concerned about the incorrect headstamp.

Mike  

Mike,

Maybe it is a localized oddity, but I can find factory new 30-40 ammo almost anywhere I look out here in western Washington or Oregon.  I own three rifles chambered for it… two Model 1885 Single Shot Rifles (one is a beautiful Take down, and the second was special ordered with a Schutzed double-set trigger and shotgun butt).  The third rifle is Model 1892 Springfield Krag (serial number 25766) that was unfortunately sporterized by my grandfather in the 1930s… it was my first deer hunting rifle.   I like the cartridge, and I shoot the Remington  factory 180-gr SP loads with good accuracy  

Bert

02.JPGImage Enlarger03.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 4:38 pm

Bert-

I buy factory centerfire metallic case ammunition only occasionally, maybe to justify the money and space I’ve dedicated to the reloading hobby, maybe because I enjoy making ammo. I like the 30-40 cartridge and enjoy loading and casting for it. Reminds me a bit of the 32-40 and 38WCF. Nice break from modern bottleneck and straight cases. I have probably purchased four boxes of factory rifle ammo in the past ten years vs several hundred to over a thousand pieces of new brass. To be honest I’m probably more into ammo than I am the guns that fire them.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
September 18, 2020 - 5:24 pm

I don’t know about this year with Covid but almost every normal year. I have been able to find or have ordered 30-40 Krag from Remington. They always seem to make a limited run every year, because so many hunters still use the cartridge.

Sincerely,

Maverick

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4597
September 18, 2020 - 6:21 pm
NY
WACA Member
September 18, 2020 - 10:21 pm

TXGunNut said
Bert-

To be honest I’m probably more into ammo than I am the guns that fire them.

Mike  

Glad to hear it–can you look into reloading .22LR?  Looks like it’s coming to that!

WACA Member
September 19, 2020 - 3:23 pm

clarence said

Glad to hear it–can you look into reloading .22LR?  Looks like it’s coming to that!  

Will look into it, Clarence. I have plenty of .22 ammo for now so I’m focusing my rimfire loading efforts on the .44. Will be nice to get some of these Henry’s and 1866’s on the range again. Brass is REALLY tough to find for this one, though. Wink 

All kidding aside I apparently got into the 30-40 cartridge during a temporary shortage (late 2015, early 2016) for that particular case and I’m aware the situation has improved. I purchased enough to last me for quite some time as case life for this cartridge seems to be quite long. Quite frankly, Chuck, I often forget to check Graf’s. Good folks.

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1579
September 21, 2020 - 10:41 pm

clarence said

http://22lrreloader.com/

There you go! Have fun!

Sincerely,

Maverick

NY
WACA Member
September 21, 2020 - 10:59 pm

Maverick said

http://22lrreloader.com/

There you go! Have fun!

Sincerely,

Maverick  

Great idea…for TXGunNut! 

A friend of mine used to reload with black powder, but he was using factory primed cases.  Wonder what this kit uses for priming compound? Spreading it uniformly is one of the necessities for accuracy.

WACA Member
September 22, 2020 - 4:34 pm

clarence said

Great idea…for TXGunNut! 

A friend of mine used to reload with black powder, but he was using factory primed cases.  Wonder what this kit uses for priming compound? Spreading it uniformly is one of the necessities for accuracy.  

Sounds like fun but my project list is a bit long already and I’ve made little progress on shortening it. I was refining loads for the 32 Spl when this 30US 1895 came along and then a 32-40 got added to the herd and reminded me I still had work to do on the 32 Spl. 

This won’t be my first .22RF ammo shortage and I didn’t run out during the first one. I can load 32-20 for less than I’ve seen 22RF ammo so I’m not really concerned one way or the other. I gave a friend a bag of 100 9mm rounds the other day and you’d think I’d handed him the keys to a new pickup. 

Not much interested in reloading 22RF, cases too small for my clumsy fingers and I don’t have the tools or machinery to make them. One nice thing about this ammo shortage is that I’ll probably have the club pistol range to myself this weekend. 😉

Mike

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: winman
Guest(s) 138
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322