Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 Range Day
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 7, 2020 - 10:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Chuck said

Kirk Durston said
Thanks for posting these range reports and, especially, the photos. I’ve used a Chrony for years and it gives accurate results and seldom ever misses a shot. My 44-40 loads for original ’73s give around 1,300 fps depending upon the temperature. I would expect that the accuracy of your ’73 should improve as you get closer to original factory loads. At that velocity, you might be able to get 5-shot groups at 100 yards of 3″ or less.  

You are right.  I haven’t loaded the 44’s for some time and I can’t find my records.  The other problem I was having was I don’t really know how to adjust the scope. It seems simple but I keep going the wrong way or too much.  I need to load some ammo and go shoot some more.

Winchester-1873-L.JPGImage Enlarger  

Whatever you did on the first target was right.  I’ll try to find a reference on how to adjust the Malcolm…which might take me awhile.

James

Update:  Chuck, sad to report that I was not successful in finding information on Malcolm scope adjustments.  I though that I might have them somewhere and I likely do, but I’m not that organized with computer files.  If I find it, I’ll pass it on!

James

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
November 9, 2020 - 12:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

jwm94 said

Chuck said

Kirk Durston said
Thanks for posting these range reports and, especially, the photos. I’ve used a Chrony for years and it gives accurate results and seldom ever misses a shot. My 44-40 loads for original ’73s give around 1,300 fps depending upon the temperature. I would expect that the accuracy of your ’73 should improve as you get closer to original factory loads. At that velocity, you might be able to get 5-shot groups at 100 yards of 3″ or less.  

You are right.  I haven’t loaded the 44’s for some time and I can’t find my records.  The other problem I was having was I don’t really know how to adjust the scope. It seems simple but I keep going the wrong way or too much.  I need to load some ammo and go shoot some more.

Winchester-1873-L.JPGImage Enlarger  

Whatever you did on the first target was right.  I’ll try to find a reference on how to adjust the Malcolm…which might take me awhile.

James

Update:  Chuck, sad to report that I was not successful in finding information on Malcolm scope adjustments.  I though that I might have them somewhere and I likely do, but I’m not that organized with computer files.  If I find it, I’ll pass it on!

James  

James don’t worry about it.  I know which way to turn the knobs but just not how much.  At 50 yds a movement of one notch moved the point of impact 6″.  I will have to look at the bore.  Honestly I haven’t looked at it for years and I have not cleaned it since I shot it. 

WACA Guest
November 9, 2020 - 5:30 pm

Chuck said

Thanks Kirk.  It is my favorite gun in my collection.  It has a lot of sentimental value.  

Chuck, I can understand why it is the favorite gun in your collection…man, what an incredible piece!

James

WACA Guest
November 9, 2020 - 5:35 pm

Chuck said

James don’t worry about it.  I know which way to turn the knobs but just not how much.  At 50 yds a movement of one notch moved the point of impact 6″.  I will have to look at the bore.  Honestly I haven’t looked at it for years and I have not cleaned it since I shot it.   

It looks like you are well on your way to having it figured out…enough so to keep it interesting and have fun at the same time!

James

WACA Member
November 9, 2020 - 6:47 pm

jwm94 said

It looks like you are well on your way to having it figured out…enough so to keep it interesting and have fun at the same time!

James  

Fun?  Frustrating too.  I don’t spend a lot of time on the accuracy of my old guns.  If I can get 4″ groups or less at 100 yds that’s great.  I do not shoot these much.  Now my paper puncher is another story.  I bought this gun in April.  Started shooting it in May.  I have put 1,000 rounds through it.  I keep records on everything I have done.  I know how many times the brass has been shot or how many times since the last annealing etc etc etc.  Luckily I was able to find enough primers to keep me going.  When shooting like this you have to buy everything in bulk. Here is a copy of one of the targets I shot on Tuesday and the accompanying spread sheet for all the loads.

Nov-3-Spread-Sheet.jpgImage EnlargerNov-3-Target-2.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
RickC
WACA Guest
November 10, 2020 - 10:01 pm

Just got back from the range with one of my recent acquisitions(73 in 38-40). Below is a target with 6 shots I punched thru it.
I didn’t realize the elevator was up on notch two so that might explain it shooting high.
I forgot to bring my brass punch & a hammer to adjust the front sight left to right, or rear sight.
To the eye both sights are dead center. Any help would be great.

Rick

340D3957-A696-4B02-9256-AD58A5ABE8D6.jpegImage Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
November 11, 2020 - 1:20 am

Good job, Rick. Thanks for the reminder, I need to round up a brass punch & hammer for my shooting bag. Got some funny looks when I used a cartridge case, screwdriver and pair of pliers to drift a sight recently.

What are you feeding your ‘73? I think it likes it.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
RickC
WACA Guest
November 11, 2020 - 1:34 am

Haha Mike yes that would bring a few raised eyebrows using an empty cartridge case but whatever works. I started with two cowboy loads(800 fps) lead bullets & the next four cartridges were factory Winchester 1160fps jacketed rds. Here’s a pic.

Rick

A7C7E0D3-B178-47CB-956A-851BB6A919F1.jpegImage Enlarger
AD5D9FAD-C466-4C0C-8136-07C0F3143526.jpegImage Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
November 11, 2020 - 1:46 am

Rick-

Thanks for posting the pics, love a great piece of wood. Nice rifle, congrats!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
November 11, 2020 - 9:04 pm

RickC said
Just got back from the range with one of my recent acquisitions(73 in 38-40). Below is a target with 6 shots I punched thru it.
I didn’t realize the elevator was up on notch two so that might explain it shooting high.
I forgot to bring my brass punch & a hammer to adjust the front sight left to right, or rear sight.
To the eye both sights are dead center. Any help would be great.

Rick

340D3957-A696-4B02-9256-AD58A5ABE8D6.jpegImage Enlarger  

I usually start with the rear sight.  Move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move.  Since this will be to the right it may loosen the sight.  It only takes a very small fraction of an inch to make the change.  I use a 1/4″ square of shim stock to hold a loose sight in position.  When moving the rear sight put a piece of paper between the sight and the top of the barrel so nothing gets scratched.  The front sight is the exact opposite.  In this case you need to move the front sight to the left, tighter.   Nice groups.  I would be real happy.

RickC
WACA Guest
November 11, 2020 - 9:12 pm

Chuck said

I usually start with the rear sight.  Move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move.  Since this will be to the right it may loosen the sight.  It only takes a very small fraction of an inch to make the change.  I use a 1/4″ square of shim stock to hold a loose sight in position.  When moving the rear sight put a piece of paper between the sight and the top of the barrel so nothing gets scratched.  The front sight is the exact opposite.  In this case you need to move the front sight to the left, tighter.   Nice groups.  I would be real happy.  

Thanks Chuck. Good info & helpful for the new collectors following the WACA forum. I’m going take take a closer look at the sights.

Rick

RickC
WACA Guest
November 11, 2020 - 9:35 pm

RickC said

Thanks Chuck. Good info & helpful for the new collectors following the WACA forum. I’m going take take a closer look at the sights.

Rick  

Sure enough the front sight was a bit right of center & just a little nudge to the left(which would seem the wrong way to move it) and is now dead center. I will give it another test at the range Friday and report back. Thanks Chuck for the info & correct application when moving sights.

Rick

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346