Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1967 WCT sequential serial numbers
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
TJH
WACA Guest
November 26, 2018 - 8:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi guys, I have one of the few only complete pair of 67 WCT (1200/1400).

Because there were so few of them made and given out to regional winners. I’d like to know the value. The history is below, and I’d like to know an honest true value if somebody would like to buy them…….here’s what I found onlilne so far:

These are very rare guns, they were given out as prizes for winning Winchester sponsored clay shoots. The WCT stands for Winchester Clay Tournament and they started in 1968 and ran thru 1974 I believe. They were built in the Winchester custom shop and hand fitted and accented with the gold caps and other small options. They have never been offered for sale to the public, but were tournament prizes and given to outstanding dealers and a few other “friends” of Winchester that did special work for them,, gun club owners, promo events and field testers, to name a few. There were a very limited number of these sets made and are highly prized and rarely seen for sale by the recipients. The numbers all start with WCT 68 on one line then the sequence number on the line just below it. The 1400 model is one number over the 1200 model. Even though they are different models the numbers are sequential. They are worth whatever someone will pay for them, but very little is know about these guns so collectors have a hard time pricing them.

They appear unfired and like new. I’ll try to attach a pic. Thanks!

Todd

TJH
WACA Guest
January 1, 2022 - 5:15 pm

Update anyone?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 1, 2022 - 5:35 pm

TJH said
Update anyone?  

Todd,

Your question falls outside of the interest & knowledge range for nearly all of the WACA members.  For the most part, our combined knowledge & interest ends at the end of the year 1963.  The later (post-1963) production guns with very few exceptions are not (yet) considered “collectible”.  Your shotguns may be an exception, but with so few of them apparently made, they are a mystery at this time.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
January 1, 2022 - 5:58 pm

TJH said They are worth whatever someone will pay for them, but very little is know about these guns so collectors have a hard time pricing them.

That’s the trouble with items so rare they’re seldom offered for sale.  Have you tried to find records of them having been sold on some of the major auction sites, like Rock Island?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
January 1, 2022 - 6:08 pm

A Winchester Model 1200/1400 collector would surely be interested.  The only problem is I have never heard of anyone collecting them.  I think about the only way to find out what they are worth is to put them up for auction and see what they bring.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
January 1, 2022 - 6:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Really have no experience with these.  Both models are on the lower end of the desirability range.  If these have the monte carlo stocks and are new in the box with all of the paperwork I might guess about $500 a piece.

But again I really don’t know.  If these were awarded to someone it would really help if you knew to whom and what match.  It may add to the value.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
January 1, 2022 - 7:13 pm

Todd-

Your question does indeed stray outside the focus of many collectors here but as a clay bird shooter I’ve read about Fred Missildine and have also read his books on Skeet and Trap shooting. Missildine was associated with Winchester and apparently he did much of his shooting with the 1200 and 1400 as they were currently produced by Winchester. Given the dates you mention above I feel sure he was very much involved in the WCT. 

Unfortunately rarity doesn’t always translate into high prices or even collector interest. I’m custodian of a 1400 from an estate and it seems to be a well enough made gun but my interests are elsewhere. At one time I hunted with a 1200 and I keep 1300’s around for “social equipment” but they’ll never rival the Model 12’s that interest some who frequent this forum.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
January 1, 2022 - 7:28 pm

My first shotgun was a Winchester M1200.  It worked ok – never malfunctioned or let me down.  It was a clunky thing and as I came to appreciate earlier manufactured Winchester firearms, I found nothing redeemable in the aesthetics of the M1200.  I am currently custodian of two M1400’s.  I’m very unimpressed with them.  I am also custodian of a Super-X One and find that action much superior.  The slickest pump action shotgun I ever owned was a High Standard Embarassed

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6387
January 1, 2022 - 7:32 pm

steve004 said  I think about the only way to find out what they are worth is to put them up for auction and see what they bring.  

Risky, I think–dependent on there being two knowledgeable bidders.  Better to consign them to a shotgun dealer who can rave them up to potential buyers.

WACA Member
January 2, 2022 - 1:41 pm

I was looking at the fall, 2021 Winchester Collector magazine.  On page 26 there are a list of those doing surveys of various Winchester Models.  Much to my surprise, I noted Keith Nix is surveying all serial numbers of Models 1200 – 1500, 2200 and 2300.  His e-mail address is listed at [email protected]

One would think if anyone knew something about these WCT guns it would be him.  I’ll bet he would love to add them to his survey.

Masen
WACA Guest
October 18, 2022 - 12:15 am

These collectible shotguns just sold in 2022 on a gun auction site for $1500 USD plus 18% buyers premium with both of them having the consecutive serial numbers for the 1200 and 1400 auto load shotgun. It states that only one of them is fired and one is unfired. They do not come with original boxes or anything as well. This is the only know pair I have personally seen ever sell, and are very rare to find the pair of them together. Hope this helps! 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 10
June 7, 2023 - 6:51 am

Hi all, I was just looking to check what was out there on the Winchester WCT shotguns for my book, and I found this post and my name was mentioned by Steve004.  Yes I can tell a lot about these models, but I need meore space than here. I have records of the number made,  have original Winchester advertising material, and a lot of examples from 1967, 1968 and 1969, often a single gun (Model 1200 ot the Model 1400.  They sell for a very good price, especially as a pair.  I have no record that the competition ran past 1969.  Some Text from the book:

“Winchester made some speciality guns which were gold plated and very highly finished to be used as prizes for clay target competitions called the Winchester Clay Target Tournaments, or WCT,   and offered a matched pair of a Model 1200 and a Model 1400 shotguns.  The Model 1200 was the odd number and the Model 1400 the even number,  and for 1968, Serial numbers started as WCT 68-0001 (a Model 1200 Trap) and ended at WCT 68-1250 (a Model 1400 Mk II Skeet).” I am going to try to upload two pages of the “Winchester WCT Advertising April 30 1969-2p of 14p”

I would appreciate hearing from Todd about the 1967 models, but best by email [email protected] with photos and history, plus any details of other Model 1200, 1300, 1400 or 1500 shotguns with information.  My research on them started in 2007- I have quite a lot of these models – they are hard to get in Australia.

paul shields
WACA Guest
June 8, 2023 - 5:59 pm

As a participant and winner in both 1967 and 1968, I can add quite a lot to the WINCHESTER CLAYBIRD TOURNAMENT discussion. 

The first year of the tournament was 1967 and the matched set of 1200 and 1400 prizes did carry consecutive serial numbers.

For example,    W C T 6 7 and W C T 6 7

1 9 5              1 9 6  

Roughly 10 years later I worked for the former CFO of Olin and he told me the serial number feature added $5,000 per set to Winchester’s manufacturing cost.

The tournament was held again in 1968 and serial numbers followed the same format used in 1967. To the best of my knowledge this was the last WCT tournament.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 10
June 9, 2023 - 5:09 am

Hi Paul

Thanks for that

The WCT series is part of a chapter in my book on the Model 1200 and 1400 series of shotguns, and I thought I had uploaded the 1969 Winchester notice on June 7 but cannot see it in the post.

There are a lot more things to share about the WCTs than on a Forum page.  Could you send me an email to [email protected] so that we can correspond before we add to the page?  Happy to quote you ae a source in the book

I have just tried to upload “Winchester WCT Advertising April 30 1969-2p of 14p” which is two pages of the 14 posted throughout the USA.

Hope I have done it correctly.  I have seen photos of the 1969 competition guns, eg “WCT 69-1214 Winchester 1400 MK II “.  They come in a nice presentation case, and one WACA has provided photos of his guns for the book.

By the way I have been a member since 2004.  I do not know how they got 2013.

Keith

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, deerhunter
Guest(s) 237
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323