Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1866 Carbine and 1873 special order Smoothbore
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 240
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 22, 2022 - 5:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

Well I finally did it and sold my “Historic LBH and Wounded Knee” 1866 carbine at auction. I also sold my Smooth Bore with the special ordered stock configuration, and an Engraved Colt SAA. When one figures how much time and money went into the research on the ’66 and Smoothbore and the financial return, the profits were small. I however at age 80 couldn’t keep them forever, and I didn’t want my wife to have to deal with the “Vultures” that always seem to show up after one passes on. I desided to keep one “Presentation” 1894 Carbine, a 1885 “Pope Rifled” Low Wall, one 1873 engraved rifle and one 1876 Short Rifle, this just to remind myself what the last 30+ years of collecting Winchesters was all about. I’ll still keep some of my Colt Percussion, an Engraved Bisley, and a very special 1879 Springfield rifle. Those I’ll probably donate to a few museums that were there for me over the years. 

I’ve been a member of WACA ( #2576 ) since 1990 and desided to end my membership at the end of ’22. I’ve met many good folks and a number of not so good ones over the last 30 plus years on WACA, but that holds true with any club. To the good one I say it has been a pleasure knowing you folks. To the bad ones I can’t really say what I would like to say, but sufice it to say, it hasn’t been a pleasure having to deal with you guys.

( Apache ) ya-ta-heyCryCryWinkCoolCool

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1253
November 22, 2022 - 6:49 pm
sp_ReportPost

Good luck to you Apache!

Can you post links to these firearms and any others you might have sold?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 449
November 22, 2022 - 7:56 pm
sp_ReportPost

mrcvs said
Good luck to you Apache!

Can you post links to these firearms and any others you might have sold?

lan – there is an article about the 66 carbine of Apache’s in the summer 2006 edition of the Collector magazine. It is an interesting read for which each can draw their own conclusion. As you know, I am also a fan of the Model 1866 carbine – there are not enough of them which have survived to go around. I saved one when I downsized but I have never owned one with any documented historical significance.

66cbn.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 260
November 23, 2022 - 1:55 am
sp_ReportPost

Larry, god bless you and thanks for your inspiration. Your articles on the wounded knee rifle was my drive to track down the history of one of my guns. Thank you and good luck  

NY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4526
November 23, 2022 - 2:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

apache said Those I’ll probably donate to a few museums that were there for me over the years. 

I hope you’ll reconsider that!  An artifact of even real historical importance is to the typical museum curator (I speak from personal experience) what shoes are to a shoe clerk.  There may be a few exceptions (I knew one myself, actually), but for sure there aren’t many.  And think of your “very special” ’79 Spfd in a place like the Spfd Armory Museum (my favorite museum of all); just one more exhibit for clueless tourists to pass by hurriedly with glazed eyes.  The folks who most truly & sincerely appreciate such items are the ones willing to PAY for them. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 24
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 57
November 24, 2022 - 12:52 am
sp_ReportPost

“Captured at Wounded Knee”  is an oxymoron,  there wasn’t  any capturing, it was a slaughter  by  the 7th Cavalry.. it really wasn’t  even a fight. -like  fishing  in a barrel.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 57
November 24, 2022 - 1:10 am
sp_ReportPost

the period accounts  have  the 7th and  another  company  surrounding  them, in  a  ravine , pit  with gatling  guns and light howitzers,  trapdoor  carbines. they  were freezing  hungry, and scared for  what  they knew was coming…

WACA Member
November 24, 2022 - 1:28 am
sp_ReportPost

How much did the carbine hammer for at the Poulin auction?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3268
November 24, 2022 - 1:58 am
sp_ReportPost

Burt Humphrey said

$37,500

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3268
November 24, 2022 - 2:00 am
sp_ReportPost

steve004 said

Burt Humphrey said

$37,500

Oh, and the .32-20 smoothbore hammered for $8,500.

WACA Member
November 24, 2022 - 2:28 am
sp_ReportPost

steve004 said

steve004 said

Burt Humphrey said

$37,500

Oh, and the .32-20 smoothbore hammered for $8,500.

Is the $37,500 before or including the approximate 20% Poulin charges buyers?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 240
November 24, 2022 - 3:49 am
sp_ReportPost

Ralph Fitzwater; A few things to consider before you get political. 1) The 7th Cavalry was still pissed off about LBH and Custer massacre in 1890. 2) In war all’s fair. 3) I agree with you that WK shouldn’t have happened, and was a damn shame for all involved.

Burt Humphrey; Over the years I made these firearms available to the WACA membership. You folks weren’t interested. In other words, what does it matter what the “Hammer Price” was to those not interested in spending any money?

Clarence; I consider you one of the “Good Guys” I’ve found on WACA. The Springfield TD is potentially so special I think late Apache War history will see a major expansion of new information. This Springfield played a major part in the Apache Wars from 1879 thru 1896. (10 years after Geronmo’s surrender) Photos of this firearm during the time the Apache was at war with the US abound, but finding documentation is even harder than what I when through with my Winchester. Folks have said of me though that when it comes to research I’m like a “Bulldog” never letting go. If I have the time left I’ll keep on hunting and adding more information on this Springfield. Then I’ll present it to the Collector to decide what it is or isn’t.

oldcrankyyankee; Thank you for your kind words. There’s all kinds of rare stuff out there, one just has to put in the effort to find them.

Apache ( ya ta hey )CoolCool

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 3976
November 24, 2022 - 4:41 am
sp_ReportPost

Thanks for sharing your guns and research with us, Larry. I hope you’ll hang around and continue to share with us but I’ll understand if you don’t. I believe you have my e-mail. Please keep in touch.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 121
November 24, 2022 - 2:16 pm
sp_ReportPost

Have always enjoyed you post Apache , and hope to see more . Thanks for the history you have brought to the forum .,,,DT 

NY
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 4526
November 24, 2022 - 3:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost
sp_ReportPost

TXGunNut said
Thanks for sharing your guns and research with us, Larry.

Yes, esp. the TD Spfd.; like to hear more about that.  But I can commiserate with “winding down,” which I’m trying to accomplish myself.  (You have only a little more than one year on me, Larry.)

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 115
November 24, 2022 - 3:55 pm
sp_ReportPost

Enjoyed reading your post apache and followed your 66 thread start to finish and all the history. Appreciated you sharing your research with us here. Hope you hang around but understand. 

RickC

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 628
Currently Online: wally, dane62, Big Larry, freebird1968
Guest(s) 61
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
1873man: 5257
clarence: 4526
TXGunNut: 3976
Chuck: 3648