Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Search results for 'pre 64 finish' (12726)

…with your negative “collector grade” assessment. Most high condition guns will never have even a small percentage of the character and history represented by these four. You can indeed feel the history in some old guns!

Mike

March 29, 2024 2:23 am
Views: 48

…code information. The new (current) Lyman 66A is specifically called the 66A and is an aluminum remake but specifically coded 66LA to the Model 94 pre angle eject and presumably any other guns that the original A-code fit i.e., the Marlin 336.  Those intended for other model guns also have the…

…having a purple-ish hue to the mount (aluminum).

The screws are all the same -- maybe you were speaking to the janitor.

Your 1953 Model 64 would be correct only with the earlier all-steel version coded "A," if it was prewar it would be more accurately mounted with the Lyman 56 or the…

…-- they all will fit.

Cheers,

BOB

Thanks Bob for providing what the code information signifies. I had to go check my 1954 model 64 that has the Lyman 56 and I confirmed the markings 😅

March 28, 2024 1:55 pm
Views: 4998

…attract dirt and debris and that clogs up the works.

Olin/Winchester is still honoring the firing pin recall to this day on guns that are now 50-64 years old and it is a rather tedious process but still an active recall.

Guns being deep cleaned and new and old firing pins. The cracked stock

March 28, 2024 1:18 pm
Views: 1562

…Eagle said

I am putting my 64 back together and wanted to get the peep sight that is mounted in the two small factory holes on the left side of the receiver at the top. Can I get…

…suggestions for which site to use? Thanks in advance. Peter

Big Larry said

The very best peep for your M64 is a period correct Lyman M56. Nice sight.    Big Larry

Bert H. said

Winchester used the Lyman No. 56 for most Model 64 rifles ordered

March 28, 2024 5:32 am
Views: 4998

None on the photos I got or from what the owner told me.

Pretty standard Hotchkiss musket in 45-70.

Gilles

March 26, 2024 6:37 am
Views: 64

…even used it for a purchase at an out of state big box store while my local store refuses to acknowledge it. I don’t need it to buy local so I don’t press the issue. Quite honestly I’d rather fill out a 4473 than log it into my book. I’ve also filled out 4473’s for antiques just to keep from…

…ruffling feathers.

I don’t understand the prejudice of dealers against C&R holders. We hold FFL’s and in some cases purchase lots of firearms. Sometimes we don’t quite understand all the

March 26, 2024 2:20 am
Views: 183

…thomas said

Email w/pics sent....MT

Received.  Your Model 64 is a standard rifle (manufactured very early in the year 1954), and the Lyman No. 66A appears to be factory installed.  That stated, I would like

March 25, 2024 11:46 pm
Views: 119

…have a M64 made in 1954, 30-30 wcf.  It appears the Lyman peep sight was added at the factory.  Overall, the rifle is about 80% with the only visible wear is

March 25, 2024 3:08 pm
Views: 119

…be worth.  In the $7000 to $7500 range, although I would have wanted to get it for less, if possible.  The high bid was $6000, and, with buyer’s premium, paying by check, it’s $7050 before shipping and FFL fees.  Now, that’s the maximum I believe it to be worth, and I didn’t feel like dealing

March 24, 2024 2:23 pm

…even used it for a purchase at an out of state big box store while my local store refuses to acknowledge it. I don’t need it to buy local so I don’t press the issue. Quite honestly I’d rather fill out a 4473 than log it into my book. I’ve also filled out 4473’s for antiques just to keep from…

…ruffling feathers.

I don’t understand the prejudice of dealers against C&R holders. We hold FFL’s and in some cases purchase lots of firearms. Sometimes we don’t quite understand all the

March 24, 2024 3:58 am

….  If you'd like, send me an e-mail at [email protected] so I can reply... 

Your rifle was recorded by Bob Porter, who kept a card file with pretty much every pre-64 M70 he saw between about 1975 and 2010.  That's where the info came from...

Lou

March 22, 2024 8:25 pm
Views: 900

…hunting needs.  In fact, I never fired any of my .25-35's on an animal.

The .25-35 is a lighter recoiling round with a lighter report.  My appreciation for lighter recoiling rifles has grown significantly as I've aged. I can see for small game, it is the better choice than the larger calibers

March 22, 2024 3:30 pm
Views: 502

…old timer would pull a greenhorn’s leg if he got a chance, do you?

Mike

Hi Mike - thanks for taking the time to add insight---much appreciated. I never knew the guy making the claim, but for what it's worth, he submitted a formal affidavit in 1957 to a local Magistrate about an

March 22, 2024 3:46 am

…) and he said he has a lot of consignments and can't take any more. I can see why! He's clearly amassed a good following on GB. I watch his stuff pretty regularly. 

I’ve watched enough of his auctions to know that Austin has a level of marketing savvy that borders on magical. His excellent…

…pictures show things I’d miss during a hands-on inspection and his bidders trust him. That’s the only explanation I can offer for the premium prices his offerings bring. Austin used to lurk and occasionally post here but I suspect he’s too busy to spend much time here now. From his

…old timer would pull a greenhorn’s leg if he got a chance, do you?

Mike

Hi Mike - thanks for taking the time to add insight---much appreciated. I never knew the guy making the claim, but for what it's worth, he submitted a formal affidavit in 1957 to a local Magistrate about an

March 22, 2024 1:07 am

*** Sorry, all the search terms matched were in html attributes (such as image source) and are not displayed in the results excerpt

*** Sorry, all the search terms matched were in html attributes (such as image source) and are not displayed in the results excerpt

…) and he said he has a lot of consignments and can't take any more. I can see why! He's clearly amassed a good following on GB. I watch his stuff pretty regularly. 

…TXGunNut said

Welcome, Cilrah! When you make it to Cody I feel pretty sure all your favorites will be there, the Winchester collection is still the backbone of the CFM, IMHO. 

Mike

Thanks TXGunNut, I’m

March 21, 2024 2:22 am
Views: 117

…the other stuff bother you. 

I promise you that this rifle will take a deer this year. I'm very proud to own it. As much as I like all the pretty, high condition Lever Guns, this one is among my top 5. I have My father's and his father's 30-30 94s, my Uncles 38-55 and 32spl 94s and this

March 21, 2024 1:33 am
Views: 250

… Cilrah! When you make it to Cody I feel pretty sure all your favorites will be there, the Winchester collection is still the backbone of the CFM, IMHO. 

Mike

March 21, 2024 12:19 am
Views: 117

…the story. T/R

Thanks. I just disassembled the front-end to take a look under the barrel. It is marked 40-65. The pipe wrench marks are present under the forearm as well. The barrel has definitely been off the receiver.

March 20, 2024 11:59 pm

…said

To take a 45-90 barrel off and install a 40-65 would be a down grade, not what I would expect to happen. If the gun has not been refinished, does not have wrench marks on the barrel, the caliber markings look original, finish of the barrel match the tube, and the gun as a whole looks…

…several good pictures, but one way or another a records check is in order. T/R 

That is exactly what I was thinking. The gun has not been refinished as far as I can tell but there are marks on the barrel that indicate it was removed possibly. The bore has significant ware especially at the

March 20, 2024 5:37 pm

….  Whether they've been "in hiding" or are of "recent manufacture" is unknown to me. 

Just "be careful out there" (as is always the case with pre-64 M70s).

Lou

March 20, 2024 3:07 pm

…are 25 non cataloged chambering that are known in the Model 54.  That is a big number since the gun was made in relatively low numbers during the depression.

Bo Rich
March 20, 2024 1:50 pm

… To take a 45-90 barrel off and install a 40-65 would be a down grade, not what I would expect to happen. If the gun has not been refinished, does not have wrench marks on the barrel, the caliber markings look original, finish of the barrel match the tube, and the gun as a whole looks

March 20, 2024 12:25 pm

…until sometime later in the year 1939 (or later). 

Production and assembly of the Model 65 was very slow due to it being during the Great Depression time period.  Winchester did not ever mate (match) dated barrels to the receiver frame date.  It is quite common to find a barrel that is

March 20, 2024 3:14 am
Views: 84

…to find out the year of manufacture of my Model 65, looked on resources and it stated 1934-1942. Any help appreciated. S/N 1004153. 

March 20, 2024 1:26 am
Views: 84

…at all familiar with the Winchester Model 1894 (94).

Admittedly so, yes! Hence me coming to the experts. Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply Bert. Much appreciated. It's very helpful. Cheers.

TODD

March 19, 2024 8:13 pm
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, Tom D, Ben, Mike LV
Guest(s) 143
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282