Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Mid range vernier for my '76
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 17, 2013 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Last year at the Cody Show I was lucky enough to find a very nice 1876 45-60 that is unofficially the "King of the Safe" at my house. It is a standard sporting rifle with nothing out of the ordinary about it except for it’s 80%+ condition and excellent mint bore. It just seemed like it needed something to spruce it up, so at this years Cody Show I found an original mid-range vernier tang sight to slap on it. Now it looks complete, I love it. A big thanks to Jim and Mark at the Tapaderas table for helping me with a couple sight applications while I was there. Here’s a couple pics.

Gary

DSCF2544.jpgImage Enlarger
DSCF2540.jpgImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Posts: 956
August 17, 2013 - 7:20 pm

That’s a nice looking gun. That sight looks like it’s in really good shape!

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 18, 2013 - 8:11 am

Brad,
Yes it is in great condition and the original blue is pretty close to the rifle’s. I only wish it lettered with it, but its definitely period correct and looks as if it could have come with the rifle.

Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
August 18, 2013 - 4:26 pm

pdog72 said
Brad,
Yes it is in great condition and the original blue is pretty close to the rifle’s. I only wish it lettered with it, but its definitely period correct and looks as if it could have come with the rifle.

Gary

It certainly does. Very nice addition to a fine rifle.

Matt

P.S. I looked at the Tapaderas website, looks like it has not been updated since 2012. I seem to recall one of the gentlemen passing, do they not do the online stuff anymore?

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 18, 2013 - 10:49 pm

I’m not sure how much is done online anymore, seems like its done over the phone and email mostly. Jim Grueter is still selling his Winchester reproduction screws and parts, vintage sights, gun stock stains, and who knows what else. He had quite a few guns on his table at Cody, but not sure if he buys and sells many of them. I think there are others on the forum that know him better than I do, but the one thing I can confirm is that Jim is class act and a pleasure to do business with, and not to mention, a wealth of knowledge.

Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Posts: 956
August 19, 2013 - 6:08 pm

Gary

Think you’ll ever find out how it shoots with the new sight on there?

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
August 20, 2013 - 7:51 pm

I have 20 rounds of hand loads that came with the rifle. I intended to go out and put a few through it but just haven’t got around to it. Maybe I was waiting for the new sight. Its one of the nicest rifles I own, so I’ve debated whether shooting it is a wise move, but the old girl is just begging to have an outing at the range. We’ll see.

Gary

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: XLIV, Roundsworth, Rat Rod Mac, antler1, Byron Russell, SureShot
Guest(s) 140
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291
TR: 1710