Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 Sight Question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 29, 2015 - 9:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I lucked upon this web forum while looking for info on a Lyman sight I picked up for my 1890 vintage 1886. When I bought the sight I was told it was original to the era of my gun. I had mounted and shot with it, but (1) my old eyes work better with the original rear sight and (2) I am returning the gun to its original condition and removing the tag sight. I am considering selling it, and IF I do, I want to make sure I represent it accurately. If it was misrepresented when I bought it, so be it, I will chalk it up to lack of knowledge and experience.

There are no markings on it other than the N stamped underneath the base. It operates without issue, the small peep is fully functional. From what i have read here, I deduced it to be a Lyman 1.

Thanks!

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
November 29, 2015 - 9:55 pm

It is a correct Lyman No. 1 tang sight for a Model 1886 rifle in any caliber except 33 W.C.F. As for the value, it is worth at least $350.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
November 29, 2015 - 11:37 pm

Bert 

Thank you so very much! And for the approx value. Given your info I did not get hurt when I bought it. Not sure what I will do with it though. I don’t shoot my “86 that often, given her age. She is rough as a cobb, but still shoots well and was made the same year my granddad was born so I have an attachment to her. 

Razz

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
November 30, 2015 - 12:10 am

Razz,

I heard that older eyes worked better with a tang peep than the other way around.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
November 30, 2015 - 2:46 am

Bob

thats what I thought too, so I searched around and bought this one. I have to be honest that I shoot it better with the iron sights. I tried centering the front in the circle and in what my uncle used to call drawing a fine bead, nesting the front in the bottow of the circle. I went back to the iron and even thought it is a bit fuzzy, it seems to work for me. My shooting is long range Cowboy Action shooting, out to maybe 125 yards at steel targets. My gun is in 40-82 and I strictly shoot true black powder.

Razz

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
November 30, 2015 - 3:55 am

The first time I tried a tang sight, I found I could shoot better with just the open iron sights. However, a few years passed and these eyes couldn’t focus close enough to sharpen up the front sight, so I figured I’d give the tang sight a fair shake. Well, and hour or two at the range and I was shooting as good or better than I’d ever done with open iron sights. With 61 year-old eyes, I now have tang sights on all my Winchesters. The only time I flip them down is when I’m hunting in very early morning or during dusk, when the peeps don’t work so well.

WACA Guest
December 2, 2015 - 3:43 am

Win38-55

What sight picture are you drawing to? It just seemed easier for me to see the “blurry or fuzzy” front sight nestled into the notch as somewhere in the peep circle. 

Razz

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
December 10, 2015 - 4:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

For precise target shooting

If you have a circle front aperture ( about 1/8 dia opening) ,a solid rear tang sight with small hole ,  and the Black bull ( to encircle with apertures) the proper size for the distance , accuracy is amazing (as good as a good target scope) 

The apertures being the right size (tang sight small hole especially important) actually bring the target bull into focus much better than the fuzzy image you get with blade and buckhorn , even if you can see blade and buckhorn very sharp

Attempting to center tip of front blade in rear tang sight circle aperture is iffy , although probably the most commonly used tang sight combo , and OK results are achieved with practice, but any novice  , even with less than average eyesight , can quickly get on to the dual circle combo with best satisfaction

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

WACA Guest
January 20, 2016 - 2:26 pm

Thanks 25-20. I see your point about the front sight options. I decided go go back to the original set up as she came from the factory back in 1890. The tang sight is going up for sale and hopefully off to a new home. Appreciate the insights very much.

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
January 20, 2016 - 6:07 pm

Bert H. said

It is a correct Lyman No. 1 tang sight for a Model 1886 rifle in any caliber except 33 W.C.F. As for the value, it is worth at least $350.
Bert

Bert, out of curiosity, what would differentiate a tang sight such as this for 33 WCF vs this one?

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
January 20, 2016 - 10:13 pm

The correct application code for the 33 WCF is “NI, whereas for all other calibers it is just “N”.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: TXGunNut
Guest(s) 166
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970