Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 1911 SL, 12ga. auto-loader shotgun
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Mike B.
WACA Guest
March 9, 2017 - 7:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m looking for information on Disassembly & Assembly, Instructions or manual that will cover this OR where or whom I can contact that can help.

Any info would be a great help.  Winchester factory has zero information.

Thanks in advance !

Mike B.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 9, 2017 - 5:42 pm

Mike,

The information you are looking for is in the Winchester Catalog No. 79 (1914). Reproductions of the catalog are available online from various sources.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Mike B.
WACA Guest
April 9, 2017 - 11:28 pm

Bent

Thanks for the info.  If you have any other info please e-mail me.  I’ve been fighting to get the butt stock & spring back on, even with help (extra set of hands) have not been successful.  Purchased a copy of the original owner’s manual which is just short of worthless, lol.  There has to be a better way.

Again

Thank you !

Mike B.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
April 11, 2017 - 2:53 am

Saw a terrible series of Youtube videos on this subject today, best I can figure he made a spring compressor with a section of all-thread and end pieces of PVC fittings.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Mike B.
WACA Guest
July 13, 2017 - 1:29 am

Bert H. said
Mike,
The information you are looking for is in the Winchester Catalog No. 79 (1914). Reproductions of the catalog are available online from various sources.
Bert  

Thanks ! Bert.

I have info and working on writing up a step by step manual on the Model 11SL shotgun with does & don’ts.  The shot breaks down into three groups:  The Barrel / Magazine group, The reciever / bolt assembly & the Trigger / butt stock assembly.  The Trigger & butt stock can be removed from the receiver without removing removing the stock, believe me one does NOT want to remove the stock.  The trigger can be serviced without removing the stock.  It took myself and a friend to get the Action / bolt spring installed and the stock back on after many trys and pinched figures & it was a bear of a job.  The Barrel / Magazine assembly requires a home made spring compressor and a couple pieces of PVC pipe as a spring guide.  You will not get the Barrel / Magazine assembly together without it.

The are two fiber (leather type) buffers which go bad and require replacement,  springs get weak in the receiver bolt assembly, these are no fun to access and replace.

The info I still need is on the Timing lever and spring,  the spring was missing so I have no idea where or how it is installed.  

For more detailed instructions email me @ :  [email protected]

or text me at 936-425-5517

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 147
July 16, 2017 - 6:44 pm

Mike B. said

Thanks ! Bert.

I have info and working on writing up a step by step manual on the Model 11SL shotgun with does & don’ts.  The shot breaks down into three groups:  The Barrel / Magazine group, The reciever / bolt assembly & the Trigger / butt stock assembly.  The Trigger & butt stock can be removed from the receiver without removing removing the stock, believe me one does NOT want to remove the stock.  The trigger can be serviced without removing the stock.  It took myself and a friend to get the Action / bolt spring installed and the stock back on after many trys and pinched figures & it was a bear of a job.  The Barrel / Magazine assembly requires a home made spring compressor and a couple pieces of PVC pipe as a spring guide.  You will not get the Barrel / Magazine assembly together without it.

The are two fiber (leather type) buffers which go bad and require replacement,  springs get weak in the receiver bolt assembly, these are no fun to access and replace.

The info I still need is on the Timing lever and spring,  the spring was missing so I have no idea where or how it is installed.  

For more detailed instructions email me @ :  [email protected]

or text me at 936-425-5517  

Mike B.

My condolences to you with your experience with the Win 1911 SL shotgun. I had one about 20 years ago. Took it out and shot it a couple times –  since it about broke my shoulder I put it up for a few years. I decided to see if I could do something to lessen the recoil so I disassembled it (BAD). Was unable to see a fix for the recoil short of leaving the recoil spring loose which I did not want to do. NOW the fun began. With the help of my wife and several homemade tools we got it back together after many tries.

Sold it to a guy who said recoil did not bother him. I saw him a couple months later. He said that he shot it a few times and put it away. His shoulder was black and blue for weeks.

This gun is rightly called the WIDOW  MAKER.           Sorry for the long story but I thought you might enjoy hearing about other experences with this Win 1911 SL shotgun.

Dick R.

Bruce S
WACA Guest
May 6, 2018 - 3:42 am

I have been spending a lot of time taking the magazine tube off of the Winchester M1911 SL. I have been spending what seems hours twisting off the magazine tube, used a spanner wrench to do this. All I want is to get the forearm off to epoxy some cracks. I know the threads are very fine and have read this takes “forever”. Yes I have twisted and twisted, it’s moving out,  and after two breaks after about 45 minutes of work each time, I’m still working on this. Is this normal? Hours of works to remove the mag tube.?

The shotgun seems to function well after a good oiling. It must of sat for years because the barrel is the home of more cob webs than a one hundred year old wine cellar. I know the history of the 1911 SL, “The widow maker” and design/patent  issues. If it does take a long time to remove the magazine tube, let me know to keep twisting.  I now know why there is not much information on the disassembly of this shotgun.

Thanks

j rod
WACA Guest
May 6, 2018 - 1:33 pm

it only take a couple mins to unthread the mag tube/barrel assembly. the mag tube, forend, barrel unthreads from receiver as an assembly. you may have it unthreaded all the way, you just may need to pull the barrel and receiver apart. the barrel extension fits in to the receiver about 3”. so try locking the bolt back with the bolt lock and then unthread mag tube and then pull barrel from receiver. 

Bruce S
WACA Guest
May 7, 2018 - 3:36 am

Thanks J Rod, I locked the bolt back and she came apart. I’m going to have to dive into Abyss of taking the rest of the barrel 

assembly apart, the lock ring and the like. Then make  that contraption from youtube to get back together.

Any tips getting started J Rod on getting the rest of this apart. There is less information on this shotgun than Area 51 and the 

dog gone thing is famous. Thanks again and if you know of any other resources or how to get this barrel assembly apart?

Thanks

Bruce S
WACA Guest
May 7, 2018 - 5:10 am

Some place I found a manual to that discussed the disassembly of the Winchester 1911 SL, I can’t find it. Was similar to a Gun Guide book.

Currently I do not see a notch to remove the nut holding the spring and the recoil washers. I see a small retaining ring, but no idea to get it apart.

j rod
WACA Guest
May 8, 2018 - 1:18 am

there is a manual the “Winchester 11 takedown guide” by Radocy   its on gunbroker and ebay sometimes. that manual would have the info you need. i watched the video on youtube and i have never needed that contraption to disassemble or to assemble the shotgun. you may want to make a tool to unthread and rethread the barrel buffer nut. i made one from a piece of 1″ aluminum pipe and filed 2 tits in it to fit the notches in the barrel buffer nut. 

Bruce S
WACA Guest
May 11, 2018 - 9:58 pm

Got the barrel and magazine Mine has no notches on the buffer nut. I know that needs to be screwed back of the off the magazine tube. My thinking it was put in backwards at one time. It’s doesn’t appear to be as difficult as it’s made out to be, or needing a device to compress it altogether, but mine has no notches on the nut holding it all together. I guess it will stay the way it is. If it had the notches up I could make that tool and back it out.

Bruce S
WACA Guest
May 13, 2018 - 2:28 am

Got it apart by removing the lock washer.

Bruce S
WACA Guest
May 13, 2018 - 5:05 am

Just need to get some 1″ aluminum tubing, cut two longer fingers on it to compress the spring, nut recoil buffers and push the retaining spring past the treading on the magazine tube. Epoxying the forearm now.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 10
July 29, 2018 - 2:46 am

I am fortunate enough to have two.  I regularly shoot my 1912 gun in competition.  I needed a recoil pad to extend the pull length as I was shooting over the clays all the time.  Recoil does not bother me.

My other one was bought from a bloke who took it apart to hide it from the Australian authorities in 1997 and took it to bits.  I will reassemble it sometime and have seen a video on UTube using plastic pipe.  I do not know how thick the fibre washers are, or what they are made of.  Years ago there was a dense red fibre product that had to be cut with a saw – but it does not seem to be resiliant or soft enough to be a buffer.  When I know this I will probab;y start

Keith from Australia #6103

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: RickC, Blue Ridge Parson
Guest(s) 159
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282