Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Help with Model 20 .410 parts
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
February 2, 2014 - 12:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello all,
I’m new to Winchesters and would really appreciate some help on finding a firing pin for a Model 20 break barrel .410; the serial is in the 15,9xx range. My father-in-law had received it as an heirloom from his grandfather some decades ago and it’s been sitting in his safe for about as long as he’s owned it. He asked me to clean it up a bit and replace the broken firing pin, and I’ve searched Numrich and many other sites and can’t seem to get much information nor a schematic on it as they only made it approximately 4 years. Are there any other models that share the same firing pin, and have the same basic schematic? Any help will be much appreciated.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 3, 2014 - 6:44 am

The Model 20 was unique unto itself.

Is the firing broken, or missing? If it is broken, I would find a ‘smith or machinist willing to repair it.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 3, 2014 - 6:51 am

Bert,
Thanks for the reply!
It is broken just past the point of the retaining pin notch and I don’t have the other half of it. I’m guessing it was dry fired and broken long ago and the pin itself seems beyond repair.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 3, 2014 - 7:03 am

You might be surprised by what a skilled machinist can do.

Your odds of finding an original firing pin are significantly lower than finding someone who can repair what is left of the one in the gun.

One other option you have, is to find another Model 20 (with an intact firing pin), buy it, and have a machinist make a new firing pin to match it. When you are done, you can always sell the second gun.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 3, 2014 - 7:05 am

Bert,
Thanks for all the help, i’ll seek out a machinist and see where I can go from there.

joe44
WACA Guest
November 28, 2016 - 10:35 pm

blyc84 said
Bert,
Thanks for the reply!
It is broken just past the point of the retaining pin notch and I don’t have the other half of it. I’m guessing it was dry fired and broken long ago and the pin itself seems beyond repair.  

Hey man, I have just had the exact same problem as you. I inherited the gun as an heirloom of sorts from my grandpa, and the firing pin was broke in half and was missing the first half. I brought it to a small smith shop in my town, nothing big just a small self run business, and he said it wouldn’t even be a hard fix. It cost me about $20. My only concern is how long it will last, but if you really are worried go bring it to a person who has a decent level with metal working and machines, and he can copy it.

-joe

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 235
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323