Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1876 OBR 45-60 made in 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 11, 2015 - 2:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

76-2719x553.jpgImage Enlarger(  click on image to view ) I am really enjoying shooting my OBR 1876 in 45-60. I cant believe how much less kick than a 45-70 and cases are simply made by shortening 45-70 brass. I was lucky to get a good bore ,and its very accurate with a 325 gr lead bullet , and 19.5 gr H4198. I have tried Hornady 300 gr and they are exc as well, but prefer lead and have a new lead bullet to try, But dont have the specs of them here

Phil

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Forum Posts: 956
April 11, 2015 - 12:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Phil

You got the pictures working!

Now you just need to post some targets made with that nice 1876 rifle some day in the future.  I will have to try that sight set up on something one of these days, probably on a short rifle or trapper…

Seriously, you have mentioned how much you like that style of front sight before and I should try that on a rifle someday.  I imagine it can make a difference.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
April 11, 2015 - 2:04 pm

Brad   Thanks to your good instructions and inspiration I played a bit more . I was about to give up till getting a new computer.

The front circle apertures are amazing paired with good Tang sight.  Well they had the now rare Wind guage front on all serious target rifles back then.( from 1870’s ? ) I got onto it years ago from a European , and Englishman , who used to shoot .22 Olympic style competition. I tried their rifles, bought a couple myself, got a Browning 1885 45-70 BPCR replica with those same sights. The 3 circles (including the Black target bull) have to be in correct proportion/ So initial experimenting for every distance is required for compatible circle size selection. I was shooting the BPCR a lot at 300 m. and got curios what it would do with a scope , and for pinpoint load development. So I mounted my familiar 36X B/R Leoupold target scope, and was frustrated that I could not group as well as with the Simple non magnified circle apertures. The eye centers up the circles automatically. The longer the sight radius ,the steadier the tang sight detent (modern Lyman and Marbles no good ) and the sharper your eyes , the better

I know you and Kirk and others get very good results with the simple blade and notch sights which require great eyesight, concentration and practice, while the apertures are more of a autopilot thing done by your eyes and a Godsend for older eyes

Phil

April 11, 2015 - 4:10 pm

Phil

It has dawned on me as recently that some type of sight hood or cover over the front bead could be very nice when it’s sunny.  I do OK with bead sights but I am still working on the standard Winchester Sporting Front Sight blade.  Maybe after using a bead for a long time it is just going to take some practice. 

I do like the Lyman No.5 sights a lot also and seem to good get results with it.

DSCN5923.jpgImage Enlarger

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1268
April 11, 2015 - 4:37 pm

This 1876 talk has made me think I need to go shoot mine, also a 45-60.

DSCF2540.JPGImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

April 11, 2015 - 5:30 pm

Nice 1876 Gary.  You might need to take some WY game with that some day…if you haven’t already.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 475
April 11, 2015 - 5:58 pm

Either of those 1876 rifles would be a welcome addition to any collection.  Thanks for sharing and how about some pictures for the 2016 WACA Calendar???

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
April 11, 2015 - 6:43 pm

Very nice 76 Gary. It will be nice to get it out. It would be a shocker at the range for onlookers.

Brad the sight picture you posted does look good!  sight hoods are probably quite good in the sun.In theory the reference circle should be a good thing . I have seen target shooters tape over the aperture slot to reduce glare. so light conditions are key.  I havent had luck with hoods in overcast conditions, really reducing my blade image. took one off once in frustration and I could see the blade again . I now know why many original hoods are missing from guns. I saw a pic of what target shooters of yore did to Windguage sights , opening slit for the aperture  insert was gouged out by an endmill at the top to let more light in on the aperture. I guess they would tape over this opening in sun again This butchering would probably help me but would be a shame to see on an original !

Thanks Rick Hope i can get in to the photography thing more this summer

Phil

Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 134
April 14, 2015 - 3:12 pm

Those 1876 Winchesters are very nice looking rifles. What kind of accuracy are you getting from them? Thanks for the photographs.,,,DT

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
April 14, 2015 - 5:02 pm

Hi Dusty  Thought you would show up soon. I am getting great accuracy with most 5 shots touching at 50 yd. I want to do more shooting at longer distances , but am having Cataract issues that will delay me. Exceeded my expectations for sure, A good heavy gun to shoot off the bench

Texas
WACA Guest
April 15, 2015 - 1:19 pm

Hi 25-20 . Sounds like you are getting very good accuracy from your old 76 45-60. Good luck with your cataract problem, good news one of my very close relatives just had a cataract removed , and now can see a flea jumping on blacktop. I have been getting some range time in as of late ,my 76 45/60wcf getting most of the attention along with a very sweet little 73 half mag. half round in 38 wcf . Always good to hear from you friend . ,,,DT

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
April 15, 2015 - 6:49 pm

Gary & 25-20, 

Those are some super nice 76 rifles (my favorite model).  Youve got me thinking about loading for my 45-60.  Ive shot it a number of times with ammo I picked up at shows.  Even packed it around one deer season, managed to pop an old coyote with it.  I came to the realization it was too heavy to pack and opted for a 94 carbine.  Didnt know you could reload using 45-70 brass–have to look into it a little more. 

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1268
April 16, 2015 - 3:12 am

Thanks for the compliments guys, its one of my favorites. I haven’t shot this one yet, it just stands guard in my safe, watching over all the others from above.

Here’s a few more pics:

DSCF2539.JPGImage EnlargerDSCF2544.JPGImage EnlargerDSCF2546.JPGImage Enlarger

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Posts: 106
April 16, 2015 - 3:16 am

That’s a real beauty Gary…..

Rob Kassab

Director & Executive Editor

Winchester Arms Collectors Association

1895Book.com

RareWinchesters.com

To greatly enhance your collecting experience, join WACA. It's only $35 / year (eMembership), and you'll be able to directly upload photos on the forum, receive the e-version of our quarterly magazine and have full online access to our magazine archive database, along with many other member benefits such as 15 additional record searches for Cody Firearms Museum members.  It’s easy to join at http://winchestercollector.org/register/.

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
April 16, 2015 - 4:39 am

Chris , Gary

Below is a link to a good article by Kirk who has shot 45-60 a fair bit. An Excerpt from his article

From 45-70 brass

“First, the case is shortened to the original .45-60 length of 1.855
to 1.890 inches”
This is all I had to do

He goes on to say rim thickness may have to be reduced to close lever.

I did not have to do this for my rifle, and I do not have any wear in my action. (Mine closes very lightly snug)
Lee dies are available and cheap, and very easy to reload

other info to Google as well
Phil

Texas
WACA Guest
April 16, 2015 - 1:50 pm

Had my( circa  ) 1884 Model 1876 Winchester 28″OBR beaches front and Winchester mid-range tang out at the range a few days ago to test some BP. loads. The load was 1/20 mix cast in the original 45/60 wcf mold @ .458/ and 296gr. lubed with 50/50 wax-tallow std. Winchester Lg. rifle primer in a Jamison case holding 63gr. 1/8″ compression # 2ff Swiss BP. with a 0.030 card wad between powder and bullet. All assembled with the original Winchester tong tool. The three shots in the black are from 50yd. and the three shots in the wood from 100yd. sand bag. The old rifle can still shoot very good and does not have a perfect bore.  This load shows very good promise ,will test more soon.  Good Shooting ,,,,DT http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b519/TheDustyTexian/IMG_0944_zpsdfyj6cwu.jpgImage Enlarger

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
April 16, 2015 - 2:11 pm

Thank you Phil and DT for sharing your 45-60 load information. 

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
April 16, 2015 - 7:22 pm

Hi Bill

The Beauty of the 45-60 is the simplicity of   obtaining brass, Large bullet selection (also for 45-75). easy , and inexpensive to reload

Dusty does very well with BP for his 76′ s as You can see. I know BP would be better for 45-75 with its larger capacity. For my preference for mild smokeless loads , I am looking for the more suitable smaller capacity cases.

When looking for a 76 , I was hoping for a 40-60, the mildest of the three cals. It would have involved the extra step of necking the brass down to 41 Cal, but I would only have to do it once , I came across the 45-60 with exc bore , my main concern, and rare for a 76, and good orig cond, couldnt resist and am pleasantly surprised with function

I think dies for 45-75 and 40-60 are also more $ Also with 45-75 , its best to buy brass rather than make it from 348 Win cases

Phil

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281
steve004: 4160