Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
WINCHESTER 1876 RESTORED BY DOUG TURNBULL
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 36
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 31, 2015 - 5:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

FromTheWoods said

Bypass the foreman.  Get the final word from Turnbull himself.  Or, keep on the path you are paving. 

If they can do no better on the sideplates, can they replace them?

I’m an outsider–far outside–I’ll stop with the advice.

I trying to call DT once they told me he is not available, I did leave my name and phone # asked  her to gave mu massage to call me, a week later I did not hear anything from DT that why I have to do something.

I am not a trouble maker, when I did paid him adequate amount of money he should do it right, I sent the rifle to him because his reputations in the past.

I have a few comment on my book, everyone saw the rifle , they don’t believe DT have a poor workmanship like this.

NRA, SAFARI CLUB INT'L SASS LIFE MEBER, POW MIA ACTIVE MEMEBER.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
April 1, 2015 - 1:36 am

Sam,

Just my two cents. Your “stoking the flames” just makes the matter worse. I understand your issue. As a business owner, I am really surprised Mr.  Turnbull has not contacted you to “make the problem go away.”

Walter

Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
April 1, 2015 - 4:09 am

wallyb said

Sam,

Just my two cents. Your “stoking the flames” just makes the matter worse. I understand your issue. As a business owner, I am really surprised Mr.  Turnbull has not contacted you to “make the problem go away.”

Walter

Walter,

I did not start up the flame, I want the thing done right, not be pushing around, I will push the back. at first I find out when they told my the side plate are tool marked from forging, I did not mention who did the restored on this rifle just try to find out the truth, until I have my rifle back, see all the extra scratches, then I desire to start this to let all other know about workmanship of DT Manufacture.

DT are big company they don’t care small businessman like me, they think there are a lot of fishes in the ocean.

Sam

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 10
April 5, 2015 - 11:28 pm

From my experience with Turnbull,  this does not appear to be to be the work Of Doug Turnbull. His work is far superior to this. A lot may have to do with how rough the gun was when it was originally sent to them for refinishing. Photos posted were poor making it difficult to tell issues with forearm. if the wood is worn away you can’t bring it back unless its replaced. The loading gate side leads me to believe the gun has seen lots of use and has pitting making it hard to restore although it can be done far better than this example you have shared. The other side plate has dings, mars and scuffs of which can be taken out.  From my experience with Doug I believe if you take your gun to Cody and talk to him he will do the right thing, but if  u choose to publicly continue your defamation of his character and ethics and then go to Cody, Doug might just tell you to take a hike. Doug has a big operation going so I venture to say Doug personally has not seen this gun and the shop foreman you contacted may have misled you to  think differently. 

( I think Anyone using any public forum should use their real name )  just like Doug Turnbull’s real name is used in this open discussion.

LeRoy Merz WACA member # 357

Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
April 7, 2015 - 7:54 am

LeRoy Merz said

From my experience with Turnbull,  this does not appear to be to be the work Of Doug Turnbull. His work is far superior to this. A lot may have to do with how rough the gun was when it was originally sent to them for refinishing. Photos posted were poor making it difficult to tell issues with forearm. if the wood is worn away you can’t bring it back unless its replaced. The loading gate side leads me to believe the gun has seen lots of use and has pitting making it hard to restore although it can be done far better than this example you have shared. The other side plate has dings, mars and scuffs of which can be taken out.  From my experience with Doug I believe if you take your gun to Cody and talk to him he will do the right thing, but if  u choose to publicly continue your defamation of his character and ethics and then go to Cody, Doug might just tell you to take a hike. Doug has a big operation going so I venture to say Doug personally has not seen this gun and the shop foreman you contacted may have misled you to  think differently. 

( I think Anyone using any public forum should use their real name )  just like Doug Turnbull’s real name is used in this open discussion.

LeRoy Merz WACA member # 357

Leroy,

Before I doing this, I gave DT a chance, I never mention any name who restored this rifle, I did post on this forum to asked about the side plate have several marked they told me it a forging mark they could not do anything sent rifle back when I have my rifle back  more scuff and more scratches marks than before, the foreman told me he talk DT he said he cannot do anything sent it back. My rifle when I sent to DT it not bad as you think, mechanical, stock and forearms are fair no crack or big gout, bore are excellent that why I want to restore the rifle.

Here work done by DT:  rust bluing is excellent color case is the same excepted metal and wood preparation are poorly done. Forearm is a new wood, it cost $700.00 just for the forearm’s wood.

I always gave any person a chance to correct their mistakes but on this case DT did not want to do anything, I am a small business not a big business man like DT, but I stood up for my right when I have to spent that kind of my hard earned money for the poor workmanship, I will speak out when they don’t try to correct their mistakes.

I don’t have anything to hide here my name: Sam Laoboonmi WACA member # 9494 – retired professional mechanical engineer in 2000.

Leroy if you want to talk to me you can call me anytime at 208-233-7883.

I am unable to go to Cody because I have reserved five tables and paid for the gun show in Bozeman which is the same time as Cody show.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
April 8, 2015 - 6:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I think Leroy Merz and others here have given good advice. Leroy’s suggestion that the shop foreman may have spoken on behalf of DT is very plausible. It is often the case that a person has been given the authority (or assumes they have the authority) to speak on behalf of their superior, without their superior knowing anything of the case. I have seen dozens, if not scores, of examples over the decades (some quite high-profile). It often is done to avoid bothering their boss with what they consider to be minor things. Many times, however, when a genuine issue comes to light, it becomes evident that the boss/superior was not briefed; the other person merely acted as their boss’s spokesperson, assuming they knew how their boss would respond and ended up ‘putting words in their boss’s mouth’ that their boss never spoke.

All this to say that I would certainly give DT the benefit of the doubt until you could somehow verify that he has actually seen the results.

Suggestion: The left side plate is the item that sticks out to me. (Everything else may be a result of having to work with original parts/buttstock and the resulting limits as to how much material can be removed from original parts without making it obvious or unsafe). Why not remove the left side plate and send it to someone who will be attending the Cody show and who would be willing to deliver the package to DT? It might be hard to find someone willing to do that, however, so why not send it directly to DT, c/o the Cody show (or the hotel he will be staying at), along with an accompanying letter explaining the situation. Your letter should give DT the benefit of the doubt, assuming he has not actually seen this or been made aware of it. See what he says about the left side plate.

Question: Do you have a ‘before’ photo of the left side plate? If those grooves were deep enough to begin with, it may have been impossible to remove them without leaving a very thin and unacceptable side plate. It would, therefore, help make your left side plate case more compelling if you have a ‘before’ photo.

Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
April 9, 2015 - 2:35 am

This will my last post for this issued, I will not bring this thing up any more.

I don’t know any one on this forum ever sent your Winchester to DT for restore, this is my first time I sent to DT because his reputations and saw some of his work at the Denver Gun Show many years ago, I am very impress. This is not the first firearms I have it restore, I sent one LC Smith with two barrel set shotgun to Briley to have it restore cost me over $5000, I am very please and never have any complain, and I sent many Winchester model 42 to Simmons to have them work on bluing, install solid rib, stock and forearm refinish,  I never have any issue at all. I don’t mine to pay for the work they perform accordingly.

I try to locate the pictures I took them before I sent to DT it over 18 months, I will look for them this weekends.

I spoke with two persons one is general foreman and other is a foreman, when they told me lie about side plate was hammer forge marked, I kind of suspicious about it, I did a lot of research myself, side plate are not forging, plus one foreman told me he did talk to DT, DT told him it is good enough cannot do anything more, so I told him to sent my rifle back. (I believe DT know about this otherwise he will call me to discuss this matter, it is too late now.)

In my two cent:  how much does it cost to replace this side plate or resurface make it smooth then re case hardening again?

I am sending this rifle to one person who do the rifle restorations in Arizona which is I met him at the Las Vegas Gun Show, What ever it cost me for him to do better than DT, I will let you know.

I have four or five Winchester to have them restore now I don’t know what to do.

38-55,

That is a great idea, I will try to find someone I know in Bozeman he goes to Cody show every years if he willing to bring my rifle with him and talk to DT and show you the final product of this rifle I will do it.

Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
April 19, 2015 - 3:48 pm

I talk to a friend in Montana he agree to bring this rifle to Cody show, you can see and be the judge.

Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
August 16, 2015 - 8:40 pm

I understand a lot of person on this forum think, I did make this thing up and gave me a lot of statics on DT.

On July 10, 2015, I have a friend took this rifle to9 Cody, to show to anyone want to see how bad of his restoration was, but he took it to DT direct to show it him, DT agreed the restoration was not up to his standard and he call me let me he did not see and approved for this rifle to sent it back to me second time as foreman Sam told me, he agreed to take this rifle back and make it right within two months.

Here the invoice he wrote it and gave to a friend of mine bring it back to me.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa406/sam772/DT%20inv._zps1otpp7x3.jpgImage Enlarger

I hope DT do something on his foreman BS to customer like this, it is made his reputations gone bad and customer have to go to do something like this.

Anyone greed with me?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
August 17, 2015 - 3:02 am

I do not agree with you. Nor do I believe you have conducted yourself honorably. To attempt to build public distaste and distrust against a man and his company–his livelihood–in order to harm him is not an honorable act. Your actions of berating him on this forum (other forums too ?) and your plan to display that rifle at a major public event to bring harm to Turnbull as well as those who work with him, are vengeful acts.

You stated, “I always gave any person a chance to correct their mistakes but on this case DT did not want to do anything. . . .”–And no, you did not give Turnbull a chance to correct his mistake. You never did communicate with Turnbull.

You also wrote, “I believe DT know about this otherwise he will call me to discuss this matter, it is too late now.” The more likely senerio is that Turnbull did not call you because he did not know you were dissatisfied with his company’s work. It appears you wanted to believe he knew and that he was disregarding you, thereby allowing you to play the injured and persecuted party, and opening the door for you to feel morally superior to Turnbull.

As it seems to have turned out, the first time Turnbull was made aware of your problem, he readily moved to remedy the situation. From the start, you could have–you should have–put your energy and your effort toward talking directly to Turnbull to resolve the problem, but you chose otherwise– publicly berating him and his work.

No, I do not agree with you. I recommend, though I doubt you will heed the suggestion–You should back-off immediately; stop your new campaign against the foreman. And most importantly, you should talk directly with Turnbull and write him one of your long letters; this time one of a sincere apology for not giving the man a chance to right the wrong, for you not practicing patience, and most importantly–for your bitter and vindictive behavior.

No, I do not agree with you.

Pocatello, ID
WACA Member
August 17, 2015 - 2:08 pm

From TheWoods

I said before, I did trying to contacted Mr. Turnbull by calling him at the company main line the only thing, I got the answers from the operator he not in the office, I left the messages twice with my cellular phone number to call me he never done that (I DO NOT HAVE HIS PRIVATE CELLULAR PHONE NUMBER).

When I post on this forum the first time I did not mentions anything about his work, I just want to ask the experts on this forum about the side plate which I have been told from his foreman was ” these marked was from factory forging mark and cannot do anything about it, until I was found out I have been lies about that especially when his foreman “TOLD ME HE DID SHOW THIS RIFLE AND TALK TO MR. TURNBULL, MR. TURNBULL SAID IT IS OK AS IS”   That’s why I start put on any forums I belong to.

I believe this is a good thing for Doug Turnbull to know about his foreman and  should do something about it, I believe few bad restored handguns and rifles same mine went out and the customers did not know about.

I am not trying to down Doug Turnbull, I tried to get the problems solved.

From TheWoods, ask yourself if you spent several thousand $$ and get no respond. Are you going to do something about it?

If you said NO, you should go back in the wood.

Final words, DT call me and he admitted that the side plate was wolfed from heat treat and the trying to strait it out with hammer. I did talk to him for a while and I did greed he is a true businessman and gentleman.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
August 17, 2015 - 11:07 pm

OK fellows… let’s keep it civil.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
August 17, 2015 - 11:28 pm

That was my last, Bert.  I understand.  I apologize for pushing it to the extent where you felt a referee was needed.

ZJustinZ
WACA Guest
March 2, 2017 - 9:54 pm

I was about to send Turnbull several rifles but first sent a simple handgun job there. I detect something has happened at Turnbull that has caused the institution of restoration to become a bit dissolved in their original mission statement. The external staff are apparently intact but something has drastically changed within the operation. I would just wait and see.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
March 4, 2017 - 1:47 am

I know how frustrating it can be, to spend a boat load of money on a project that ends up with a very disappointing result.  Am I correct in assuming you have yet to talk to Doug face to face?  If this is the case, then I  have to assume you may not be interested in a face to face sit down.  You have the perfect opportunity  to do so by taking the gun to Cody.  Why in the world would you go to the Bozeman Gun Show instead?  Having tables at that show is a poor excuse. If you’re not willing to take  what could be the perfect opportunity, you’ll end up burning all your bridges behind you.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: wally
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160