Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Win. 1873 Identification and History please
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
DPXMED
WACA Guest
July 27, 2015 - 6:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, I happened on this forum doing some research on a model 1873, serial #132472A. It was my Grandfathers gun who recently passed away. Not sure of the condition or what to do with it other than try to preserve and admire it. If it could be fired I would be happy and put a round through it on an anniversary. Im sure the sentimental value is worth more than monetary, as I believe this is the gun he used as a “camp hunter” when he was a lumberjack in Idaho. Any information would be great to find out. All I have done was use some Hoppes bore cleaner and then covered it with gun oil on about a 1″ section of the tube magazine. *(no change in Patina and wanted to test if I could protect it with oil). Lever action works, and the brass “magazine?” is solid without dropping below the breech?. I didnt want to oil or clean it without consulting someone that may know a thing or to. I believe it was manufactured between 1882 and 1884 (depending on website). It is missing the front peep sight and would eventually love to complete the gun with original sight. I have quite a few pics, and I will try to attach them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Its a part of History I know, but it is also a part of MY history. Thanks

*edit: trying to figure out pics

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 28, 2015 - 2:07 am

It was made in 1883. The brass thing is the elevator for the lifting the shell from the mag up to the barrel. To post pictures you have to post them to a host web site like Photo Bucket which are free and then put the like into the post on this site. I just check the  survey and S/N 1332473 is a round barrel 38 caliber rifle. What is the configuration of your gun? Barrel shape, round or octagon? does  the magazine run to the end of the barrel? caliber? barrel length measured from the bolt face? Type of butt plate, heavy curved steel with a brass sliding door? Is the stock straight or does it have a pistol grip?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 28, 2015 - 10:24 pm

Your rifle is a 24″ Round barrel in 38 caliber with a plain trigger, entered the warehouse August 31, 1883 shipped Sept 1, 1883

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, clarence, 86Win, 12 NUT
Guest(s) 241
Currently Browsing this Page: