Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Popularity and trends with regards to Winchester 1885 rifles
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 13, 2016 - 11:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I recall when growing up, the Winchester 1885 just wasn’t as popular as its lever action cousins (1873, 1876, 1886, 1892, & 1894).  But, I have always liked them and have a few.

Nonetheless, amazingly, I am aware of a few with condition that are for sale for fairly reasonable prices, one of which has a fair number of special order features.  I have thought about buying it (or them) myself, but funds lately have been used for other significant purchases.  For what they are, these are original firearms with significant case colouring, pre-1898, not refinished or monkeyed with.  The price tags on these are comparable to their lever action cousins with no finish.

So, what are the trends?  I mean, these were always less popular, but I don’t recall that the price of these with condition being on par with an 1876 or 1886 that is a grey gun, may have some refinished or replaced parts, etc.

Have they just become that unpopular?

(I should add that, for clarity’s sake, at a local gun show today, nothing seemed to really be moving, so it is not like the grey cousins are trading hands, and the 1885’s are not, but in a relative sense, if you purchase an 1885 these days, it seems like you can get a “big bang for the buck”.  Laugh)

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
February 13, 2016 - 11:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

For an un-professional opinion it is a model I had overlooked and under appreciated in relation to lever models , and now exposed to them are very impressed with the simple ingenious design and function , accuracy , infinite large range of fabulous calibers , and dont know how you can go wrong with them (ask Bert and other fans) 

Bang for the buck may be an understatement 

Phil

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 163
February 14, 2016 - 12:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ya, I was at the Gun Show today. Saw a nice, 1885 Winchester in 45-90 Caliber.

I think it was less expensive than a nice, Winchester 1886 Standard Rifle in the same Caliber.

"I Would Have Rather Lived Through The Industrial Revaluation"

"Instead of The Space Age"

From

The Twilight Zone

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
February 15, 2016 - 4:25 am

Bert,

Thanks for the info. If and when I do the Tulsa show, I will let you know.

Walter

PS: It is a letdown that there not any Winchester shows in the Southeast. It would be interesting to know where the WACA members live.

l

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
February 15, 2016 - 3:59 am

I have not ever travelled to the Tulsa show, as it is more than a 2,000-mile trip one-way for me. I suspect due to the size of the Tulsa show that it would not be difficult to find at least a few dozen Model 1885 single shot rifles.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
February 15, 2016 - 3:32 am

FWIW:  I’ve only seen 2 1885’s at Albuquerque gun shows in the last 3 years, though I don’t necessarily go to all of them.  There have only been 2 gun shops in the metro area that sell antiques and one of them was sold last year and the new owner is not interested in antiques.  I’ve started doing my antique shopping/drooling on line.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
February 15, 2016 - 2:20 am

Bert, 

Thanks for the info. That is a lot of 1885’s. Would the same hold true at Tulsa? I have been told by older Winchester collectors than me, that I have to go west of the Mississippi  to sell my old lever guns for top money. Hell, Tulsa is a 1200 mile trip one way. I am still not sold on major auctions as Apache has stated.

Walter

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 15, 2016 - 1:56 am

wallyb said

Bert,

Is the 1885 popular west of the Mississippi, as I rarely see one at shows in NC?

Walter

Walter,

I would say Yes, it is.  At a typical Reno show, there will be at least several dozen Model 1885s on various tables.  The same holds true at the Cody show, and the Denver show.

Bert

WACA Guest
February 15, 2016 - 1:22 am

Bert,

Is the 1885 popular west of the Mississippi, as I rarely see one at shows in NC?

Walter

Kingston, WA
Admin
February 14, 2016 - 10:13 pm

To some degree the desirability of the Model 1885 Single Shot is regional, but there definitely is a collector following and market for them. That stated, they have never sold for the same money as a Model 1886 in the same caliber & condition, but comparing the two is like the “apples vs. oranges” argument. One is a repeater, and the other is a single shot, and in the minds of many (the spray & pray crowd), the repeater is the best choice. For those of us that were taught to shoot & hunt efficiently, the single shot is by far the preferred rifle. Even when I am out varmint hunting, I single load my bolt-action rifles!

Bert

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: XLIV, twobit, Tony. R, Bill Hanzel, Zebulon
Guest(s) 98
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026