Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Apache commevertive 30/30 .....
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Nickname
WACA Guest
June 30, 2015 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’ve got and 1974 Apache commevertive 30/30 never fired and still has original box what would this be worth today?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 10, 2015 - 2:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m not familiar with your model commemorative or for that matter the details of very many commemoratives.  I’m answering here for two reasons.  First out of a personal belief a serious question deserves at least an acknowledgement even if not the availability of an answer per se.  Second, just to voice what seems to be some general principles (with exceptions) concerning commemorative Winchester 94 rifles and often many other genre of commemoratives too.

And to offer the generalization:   Winchester 94 commemoratives have never made their mark as collectibles and that has left them scant place for recognition. 

First approaching collectible status, ideally they should be ‘virtually’ unfired, in the original box and with appropriate factory paperwork; essentially “as new”.  Absent that, they fail a very essential litmus test.  Yet even ascending that hurdle, they’ve pretty well continuously failed to capture and hold the ongoing imagination of the collector crowd.  They’ve also historically failed the individuals who might wish to ‘buy and stash’ according to some ideas of appreciation.  So they are left largely as shooters and there is the final rub.  Whatever attraction may remain of their ‘aura’, is quickly lost as they descend from the hyped lofty stratospheres into the mundane.

Many are fancy and with  extracted a premium purchase price.  Many owners still aspire to bask in that premium aura.   Yet nowadays, too many knowledgeable folk will accord little if any such and ironically rather the opposite.  The commemoratives are becoming neither fish nor fowl as their interest base wanes.  Time has also foreclosed most expectations of positive appreciation as just not there. 

Perhaps I’m going out on a limb, but I’d say that the simple production models generally outscore the commemoratives in popularity and saleability.  Add the typically lesser initial vestment and that doesn’t leave much hype for commemoratives. 

Yet another problem as you set forth in your question is just how to value these guns.  I haven’t paid much attention to the Blur Book in a few years now, but i do recall they had some pretty fancy prices shown for some commemoratives.  Perhaps that’s something to strive for.  But it’s one thing to to construe values from such and the Internet.  It’s another thing to pack one of these around the gun show and market it. 

Now all above said, I do believe there are some commemorative models which maybe worthy of premiums. Those are guns which are substantially unlike any normal models of their era.  That might include the “NRA Musket” for example.  But for the vast majority of the commemoratives, they’re increasingly languishing; that as their market niche is shrinking and their track record of even keeping up with inflation isn’t particularly happy.

So it seems to me the prognosis is of a viral combination of requiring pristine examples, shrinking markets and lack of decent appreciation; all of which is ‘evolving’ most of these guns toward three time losers in terms of past expectations. 

All here an impression and… 

My take

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 10, 2015 - 4:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Just one negative to start out , your 74 Apache is from the era of gold flaking. I had a Commanche within a year of yours as part of the 4 offerings in that Indian series , and it was the case with mine, as it was used. I think being handled very little as Commemeratives are intended they would be OK.

Being a shooter of Commemeratives , and not a collector, I do not have the negative opinion of most, as I have often posted that the full length  barrel rifles, esp OCT are good accurate ,new bore , shooters for a bargain price if no box, but excellent cond

The Quality ,fit , and appearance of the large number of Model offerings varies widely and somewhat affects price,but the biggest value determination is generally based on quantity issued of that model.(Rarity) All info available on the internet

The Wood grade varies immensely within Models, from slightly fancy to spectacular, as it seems Wood was not sorted-segregated

Some examples of some Models are eye-appealing to me, but this perception of appearance varies greatly within individuals

Ther were many Models made, and the Market over-saturated, but now with no new manufacture, I think values will slowly rise. There are lots in Canada , and former collections coming to guns shops and auctions, but especially at auctions prices are remaining strong and creeping up

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341