Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A few special 1894's
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 14, 2017 - 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It’s cold and miserable outside, so I thought I would share a few of my favorite 1894’s.  All have perfect bores.  The top, third, and fourth have Cody letters.  The third one down is serial number 384765, which is just out of the serial number range for a Cody letter.  Its a 32-40 WCF with set trigger, Lyman front and Lyman 21 rear receiver sight, Lyman #6 2-leaf sight, and I-checkered plain pistol grip stock.  I believe the sight configuration is original since there is no wear on the top barrel flat from any other sight.

P1060966-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Here’s the Cody letter that belongs to the top one:

P1060971-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Here’s the Cody letter that belongs to the second one down.  It has two R&R entries, where I believe it was changed to caliber 30 WCF and changed to Lyman front, Lyman tang sight, and 3-leaf Express rear sight.  I sure wish it was in its original configuration as 25-35 WCF and the Mid-Range and Wind Gauge sights! 

P1060973-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Here’s the Cody letter that belongs to the fourth one down and is my favorite out of the bunch.  It has Lyman front, Lyman Tang, and a Lyman #6 single leaf rear sight.  There are no wear marks on the top barrel flat from any other type of rear sight on this rifle either.

P1060972-1.JPGImage Enlarger

Don

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 15, 2017 - 12:11 am

Don,

Those are real beauties. thanks for sharing.

Al

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 15, 2017 - 12:12 am

I was stuck taking photos indoors, so photos don’t look all that great.  Here are a couple others:

P1060968.JPGImage EnlargerP1060959.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 514
January 15, 2017 - 12:27 am

Very nice….

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
January 15, 2017 - 12:28 am

Yes, special in deed, thanks for sharing them. It’s nice to see the Cody letters as well. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 492
January 15, 2017 - 12:43 am

Those are dandies.  Thanks for sharing Don.   I can see why the 38-55 on the bottom is your favorite.  She’s a real beauty. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 15, 2017 - 3:52 am

Mark Douglas said
Those are dandies.  Thanks for sharing Don.   I can see why the 38-55 on the bottom is your favorite.  She’s a real beauty.   

With all due respect, Mark (and Don), they’re ALL beautiful.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 492
January 15, 2017 - 4:21 am

TXGunNut said

With all due respect, Mark (and Don), they’re ALL beautiful.  

Sorry Don.  In no way meant to denigrate the others.  I love them all.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
January 15, 2017 - 5:05 pm

Beautiful rifles!!!

James

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
January 15, 2017 - 6:10 pm

Don,

Very nice rifles!  However, I am disappointed that you have been holding out on me by not sending the information for the research survey… all Model 1894 & pre-64 94s with serial numbers > 353999.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
January 15, 2017 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The wood on takedowns is so attractive–alluring.  Who needs warm sunshiny days when they have the beauty of those rifles to bask in!

And I believe you have diagnosed my problem!  I’m south of you in the Valley, and your weather is usually our weather.  These past couple weeks I’ve been drooling over the computer screen–Winchester photos of course.  I’m planning on filling a gap in our ’94 collection.  (So sad to say it like that; only one left to find.)  Must be the weather that is giving me fits!  Been scratching the urge to squeeze a couple more ’94’s into the family’s “needs.”  And last week I began bookmarking sweet ’92’s which would create a new branch on our Winchester-Family tree.

Yeah, it’s the weather.  Gots to be the weather.  Hit the Buy It Now!  Buy It Now Buy It Now Buy It Now  (That’s the haunting echo in my brain.)

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 15, 2017 - 8:45 pm

Bert H. said
Don,

Very nice rifles!  However, I am disappointed that you have been holding out on me by not sending the information for the research survey… all Model 1894 & pre-64 94s with serial numbers > 353999.

Bert  

Sorry about that Bert.  I thought I had shown you serial number 384765 at one of the OAC shows in Portland a few years back.  Must have missed that one.  I do have a few others that may or may not be in your survey:

1894 18″ carbine, serial number 949121, caliber 25-35 WCF, sling ring, standard carbine ladder sight, long forearm, full magazine.  I think I showed you this one at OAC show a couple years ago. 75% condition.

94 Eastern carbine, serial number 1075741, caliber 30 WCF,  full magazine, standard carbine ladder sight, post front sight, San Francisco Police Department marked “S.F.P.D.” 90% condition.

94/95 hybrid carbine, serial number 1032290, Caliber 30 WCF, full magazine, standard carbine ladder sight, dovetailed front sight, Lyman tang sight. 90% condition.  

94 carbine, serial number 2418861, caliber 30-30 WCF, completely standard carbine with short forearm wood. 95% condition.

Don

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 15, 2017 - 9:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments.  When I first started collecting, my collection was scattered as far as condition and various other lever models.  Since then, I’ve used a lot of trading stock to get where I am now.  The 1894’s with unusual and or special order options, along with high condition is my obsession.  I still do have some nice examples of the other models, but the 1894 seems to catch my eye (and wallet) the most.  I have a few unusual 94 carbines that I’ll share the next time cabin fever sets in.

Don

Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 479
January 15, 2017 - 9:14 pm

Don:

Yep – all great Model 1894 variations.  Easy to see why they are so loved by collectors…………..

Rick

WACA Life Benefactor Member

NRA Life Member

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 15, 2017 - 9:48 pm

Rick Hill said
Don:

Yep – all great Model 1894 variations.  Easy to see why they are so loved by collectors…………..

Rick  

Hi Rick,

I heard you’re the guru of 1894’s.  Regarding the second rifle down in my original post (and Cody letter), what is your opinion regarding the two R&R entries and collector value/desirability of this rifle?  I admit, I bought it without a letter and was quite surprised (and a bit disappointed) when I got it.  Since then, I’ve grown to love it–I’ve never seen or heard of another that lettered with that sight configuration.  It’s an antique and truly in 85%+ condition. There are no proof marks on the receiver nor the barrel and all barrel markings are correct and coincide with the 1898/1899 R&R’s–I had Bert take a look at it the OAC show a couple years back and confirmed this.  The blueing under the tang sight and paper shim is perfect as well. Would appreciate you opinion.

Thanks,

Don

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
January 16, 2017 - 1:27 am

deerhunter said

Sorry about that Bert.  I thought I had shown you serial number 384765 at one of the OAC shows in Portland a few years back.  Must have missed that one.  I do have a few others that may or may not be in your survey:

1894 18″ carbine, serial number 949121, caliber 25-35 WCF, sling ring, standard carbine ladder sight, long forearm, full magazine.  I think I showed you this one at OAC show a couple years ago. 75% condition.

94 Eastern carbine, serial number 1075741, caliber 30 WCF,  full magazine, standard carbine ladder sight, post front sight, San Francisco Police Department marked “S.F.P.D.” 90% condition.

94/95 hybrid carbine, serial number 1032290, Caliber 30 WCF, full magazine, standard carbine ladder sight, dovetailed front sight, Lyman tang sight. 90% condition.  

94 carbine, serial number 2418861, caliber 30-30 WCF, completely standard carbine with short forearm wood. 95% condition.

Don  

Don,

The late production Carbine was new for the survey.

Thanks,

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 16, 2017 - 4:44 am

Mark Douglas said

Sorry Don.  In no way meant to denigrate the others.  I love them all.  

Nothing personal, Mark. Every unusual 94 in my collection is my “favorite”. Every common 94 is a “benchmark” rifle. I suspect we all feel the same way. Even as a relatively new collector I gave up on “favorites” long ago. Every time I dig into my safe I un-case a rifle and contemplate it’s origins and the hunts and conflicts it’s seen.

And if any of you gets into a deep conversation with any of my duty guns…it’s probably all true but I’ll never admit it.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 16, 2017 - 5:33 pm

deerhunter said
Thanks everyone for the compliments.  When I first started collecting, my collection was scattered as far as condition and various other lever models.  Since then, I’ve used a lot of trading stock to get where I am now.  The 1894’s with unusual and or special order options, along with high condition is my obsession.  I still do have some nice examples of the other models, but the 1894 seems to catch my eye (and wallet) the most.  I have a few unusual 94 carbines that I’ll share the next time cabin fever sets in.

Don  

Don,

I still have a little bit of everything, but found myself steering toward the 1894’s with special order or non-standard features. The variations and possible combinations of features is almost endless, with the short rifles being my favorites. I don’t intentionally collect any carbines as they don’t appeal to me as much as the rifles.

You have some interesting and desirable rifles, very nice, and thanks so much for sharing.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
January 16, 2017 - 9:06 pm

pdog72 said

Don,

I still have a little bit of everything, but found myself steering toward the 1894’s with special order or non-standard features. The variations and possible combinations of features is almost endless, with the short rifles being my favorites. I don’t intentionally collect any carbines as they don’t appeal to me as much as the rifles.

You have some interesting and desirable rifles, very nice, and thanks so much for sharing.  

Thanks Gary.  I’m with you–to me, the rifles seem to have more class and eye appeal than the carbines.  However, it seems those special order rifles in high condition are getting harder and harder to come by these days.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2351
twobit: 2306