Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
!894 30WCF headspacing problem
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 21, 2017 - 11:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a 1894 30WCF that will not eject properly

the barrel chamber has recess for cartridge flange or rim??the barrel is half octagon 26″

Image Enlarger

I have 2 other pre64 1894’s in 30WCF both do not have this recess for cartridge rim??

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
March 23, 2017 - 3:24 am

The recess at the top of the barrel is to allow the extractor to slip over the case rim to pull the case out of the chamber. When the bolt is cycled fully to the rear the ejector hits the case head and pops it loose from the extractor/bolt recess and the case is thrown free or “ejected”.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
March 23, 2017 - 4:17 am

I’m  not sure why your ’94 would have the chamber cut for the rim of the cartridge case. It’s  no wonder it won’t extract the fired cases.  I’m  wondering if the barrel or chamber have been reworked.  Does the barrel look like it was relined?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 8
March 24, 2017 - 11:44 am

win4575 said
I’m  not sure why your ’94 would have the chamber cut for the rim of the cartridge case. It’s  no wonder it won’t extract the fired cases.  I’m  wondering if the barrel or chamber have been reworked.  Does the barrel look like it was relined?  

That is what I am wondering?? I picked this up as a project gun from a fellow it is marked 30WCF I’ll have to do a little more research

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 301
March 24, 2017 - 2:07 pm

I’d take a chamber casting with cerrosafe to see what the internal dimensions are. 

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

WACA #10293

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
March 24, 2017 - 2:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I guess it is possible that “if” the barrel had been relined, the gunsmith was asleep at the wheel and made the mistake of running the chambering reamer far enough to include the recess cut for the cartridge rim.  This would render the rifle useless, because the cartridge rim on a ’94 is recessed on the face of the breech bolt not the face of the chamber.  I doubt that the firing pin would even reach the primer, but if it did, you could have tragic consequences by firing this gun, because you have nearly 1/16th inch of free headspace.  It would be interesting to have the gun in hand to try and figure out why it was cut this way.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2351
twobit: 2306