Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Newby with First Year 1892
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 298
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 7, 2017 - 7:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thought I’d drop a few pictures and solicit comments.  I’m a novice Winchester owner and starting to gain more interest in the antiques/ C&Rs so I’m learning ‘correctness’ as I go.  My intro as posted in the General Discussions and Questions thread.  A PO was a bit aggressive with cleaning but other than that, I’m happy with the shooter-grade rifle.  I about have the wood checking taken care of.  I use Kramers…  Regards, Ron

Below is an 1892 4 digit SN# in 44.40

DSC01770.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01771.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01772.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01774.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01777.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01781.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

WACA #10293

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 378
January 7, 2017 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ron, Nice start to your Winchester collection. s/n 1948 makes it a June of 1892 gun.

Paul

Kentucky
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 79
January 10, 2017 - 4:10 pm

Well she looks very nice for what you are calling a shooter grade gun!  Very nice and low serial number as well.  Thanks for sharing!

Dave

WACA #10119

NRA Member

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2324
January 10, 2017 - 4:33 pm

rwsem said
Thought I’d drop a few pictures and solicit comments.  I’m a novice Winchester owner and starting to gain more interest in the antiques/ C&Rs so I’m learning ‘correctness’ as I go.  My intro as posted in the General Discussions and Questions thread.  A PO was a bit aggressive with cleaning but other than that, I’m happy with the shooter-grade rifle.  I about have the wood checking taken care of.  I use Kramers…  Regards, Ron

Below is an 1892 4 digit SN# in 44.40

DSC01770.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01771.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01772.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01774.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01777.JPGImage EnlargerDSC01781.JPGImage Enlarger  

How’s the bore? The 44 WCF is a very accurate cartridge, but at $50 a box, unless you are rich, you need to reload. You have a low number, but I have seen #1. Not going to get any lower than that. Enjoy your new treasure.  Big Larry

WACA Member
January 12, 2017 - 9:00 pm

The bore is dark along the grooves with strong rifling.  The lands have some pitting but I think it’ll be just fine.  I have a batch of brass ready to reload but haven’t slugged the bore yet.  I’ll cast my bullets about .002 over groove diameter.

WACA #10293

WACA Member
August 2, 2018 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Revisited this rifle over the past few weeks.  I decided to do a detailed dis-assembly and sonic cleaning.  I tell ya, there was enough dirt, grass, etc.. in the receiver to make a small adobe hut.

I couldn’t get the firing pin out easily but when I did I thought; how strange? A two piece firing pin….. Homestead had the black powder dimensioned firing pin which is what the original was, so I got lucky.  

Got everything buttoned back up, functioning well and decided to warm the iron with some Magtech .44-40 since I don’t have any .44 cast on hand (don’t chastise me).  The barrel slugged at .433″ so I fully expected to have some leading problems…. 50 yards 5 for 5 on 8″ plate but only 2/5 at 100 yards.  I’ll have to put it to paper to see what’s going on (BTW, SSP reverse bi-focal safety glasses are great!). To my surprise, no leading- the boolit must have been soft enough to obturate and not allow gas cutting.

Anyway, the .38-55 is next.

Ron

WACA #10293

Ft.Worth, Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 142
August 3, 2018 - 12:14 am

Ron, I have a 1892 made in 1893 that also had the “Rare” 2-piece firing pin. It shot just fine too. Im glad Homestead had a replacment in stock! Never know what you will find when you take these old jewels apart.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
August 3, 2018 - 12:44 am

Must be a variation somewhat common in that period, my 1895 vintage 1894 had one of those “rare” two piece firing pins as well. Homestead was able to help me out as well. 😉

I’m glad it shot well for you, Ron. Maybe you should pour a few for the 92 before you move on to the 38-55. Laugh

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
August 8, 2018 - 4:46 pm

I’ve had a couple 44 WCF early Winchesters that slugged with a .433 groove diameter. I used soft cast (pure wheel weights, air-cooled) bullets in them, sized to .431 (which is the largest bullet that would chamber easily) and was able to get 5-shot, 2″ groups at 100 yards.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
August 11, 2018 - 2:51 am

win38-55 said
I’ve had a couple 44 WCF early Winchesters that slugged with a .433 groove diameter. I used soft cast (pure wheel weights, air-cooled) bullets in them, sized to .431 (which is the largest bullet that would chamber easily) and was able to get 5-shot, 2″ groups at 100 yards.  

Wow, John Kort would be very proud of you. Those old guns will sometimes surprise you if you just give them what they want. I’m generally happy with 2″ @ 50 yards but I know my limitations. Good shooting!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 131
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282