Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
New to me - mint 1894 carbine
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 25
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 22, 2017 - 12:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

My first Winchester arrives tomorrow, a mint 1894 carbine circa 1950 from Al’s GB auction.   He had posted two fantastic 1894’s as an FYI on the Winchester Swap Meet sub-forum .    I don’t think I could have done much better here, and this was exactly what I was looking for, Al’s pictures speak for themselves.   I suppose I could have waited to see were the bidding ended up, but I had not seen such a pristine one on GB so I just grabbed it.    I have no flat trajectory long guns, this will a long time coming for me, it was pretty easy pulling the trigger on this purchase decision.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/638690564

It’s essentially a brand new rifle which I hope to shoot regularly.   It arrived at my FFL (also my indoor shooting range) before noon, but I was too busy to sneak out for the two hours it would take for the drive and filling out transfer forms.   No problem as I always go the range every Saturday morning so I’ll fill out the transfer forms after my range session tomorrow.  

My first order of 30-30 ammo arrived today, plus a few snap caps and some 45ACP.   I always liked the saying “all hat no cattle”.   Well, at least until tomorrow morning, I am “all ammo no rifle”, at least in 30-30

1894-ammo.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
April 22, 2017 - 2:12 am

Dan,

Enjoy it. Thanks again.

Al

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
April 22, 2017 - 1:28 pm

I think that is one happy Dan!!  Very nice rifle.  Have fun.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2348
April 22, 2017 - 3:43 pm

Dan Porcello said

My first Winchester arrives tomorrow, a mint 1894 carbine circa 1950 from Al’s GB auction.   He had posted two fantastic 1894’s as an FYI on the Winchester Swap Meet sub-forum .    I don’t think I could have done much better here, and this was exactly what I was looking for, Al’s pictures speak for themselves.   I suppose I could have waited to see were the bidding ended up, but I had not seen such a pristine one on GB so I just grabbed it.    I have no flat trajectory long guns, this will a long time coming for me, it was pretty easy pulling the trigger on this purchase decision.

It’s essentially a brand new rifle which I hope to shoot regularly.   It arrived at my FFL (also my indoor shooting range) before noon, but I was too busy to sneak out for the two hours it would take for the drive and filling out transfer forms.   No problem as I always go the range every Saturday morning so I’ll fill out the transfer forms after my range session tomorrow.  

My first order of 30-30 ammo arrived today, plus a few snap caps and some 45ACP.   I always liked the saying “all hat no cattle”.   Well, at least until tomorrow morning, I am “all ammo no rifle”, at least in 30-30

Model 94. No longer a M1894. Nice carbine. Last Reno show, I bought a very mint, unfired M94 carbine in 30 WCF circa 1960. Paid $750 for it and went back to my table and hid it figuring the seller may want it back.    Big Larry

WACA Guest
April 22, 2017 - 5:21 pm

Big Larry said

Dan Porcello said

Model 94. No longer a M1894. Nice carbine. Last Reno show, I bought a very mint, unfired M94 carbine in 30 WCF circa 1960. Paid $750 for it and went back to my table and hid it figuring the seller may want it back.    Big Larry  

Thanks Larry, but the action and function of my 1950 made M94 is no different than an 1894 made in the year 1898 or 1904?   This is the definitive source of info on all things Winchester, but I can assume that the folks on the Oklahoma Shooters Association are no slouches?   Speaking of slouches, I am sure there are plenty of articles available to me in the publication section of this site – I have access to them all so I will take a look.   The link below was from a quick and lazy google search. 

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/winchester-1894-vs-94.86419/ 

Just picked up the rifle and all I can say is a few of the old times that hang around the gunstore (my FFL and also my indoor range) took a look and were extremely impressed with the condition of this rifle.    One of the old timer’s said he has one made in the early 40’s and it’s mint, but not as mint as mine.  He purchased it from a widow seller her husband’s collection in the late 1960’s – he said it cost him fifty dollars and it’s one of his favorite rifles  Hoping to get the chance to go shooting with him, he was there last week when I was filling on the transfer paperwork on my 95%+ Python circa 1957 and I am getting to know him.  

Still have not take a pic of the M94 just purchased from Al, but here is the 1957 Python I was referring to above.

1957-Python.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
April 22, 2017 - 5:35 pm

twobit said
I think that is one happy Dan!!  Very nice rifle.  Have fun.

Michael  

Thanks Michael.   I hope to have a full range report shortly on this one.   Lower CT is not the greatest for finding good places to shoot outside.   One of the ranges close to me only allows seated shooting!   You are not allowed to shoot standing up – the firing line is covered with a wall starting from the top of the roof coming down to about 5 feet from the ground.    It’s almost like you are shooting out a window.    This overhang prevents people from shooting up at an angle and makes it impossible to shoot standing up.    It’s ridiculously expensive as well and a one hour drive to get there.   A few other places to the North of me about an hour’s drive away, but up to now, I have not had a reason to go up there and check those places out.   Not exactly the most shooter friendly state for sure.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2348
April 22, 2017 - 5:55 pm

Dan Porcello said

Thanks Larry, but the action and function of my 1950 made M94 is no different than an 1894 made in the year 1898 or 1904?   This is the definitive source of info on all things Winchester, but I can assume that the folks on the Oklahoma Shooters Association are no slouches?   Speaking of slouches, I am sure there are plenty of articles available to me in the publication section of this site – I have access to them all so I will take a look.   The link below was from a quick and lazy google search. 

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/winchester-1894-vs-94.86419/ 

Just picked up the rifle and all I can say is a few of the old times that hang around the gunstore (my FFL and also my indoor range) took a look and were extremely impressed with the condition of this rifle.    One of the old timer’s said he has one made in the early 40’s and it’s mint, but not as mint as mine.  He purchased it from a widow seller her husband’s collection in the late 1960’s – he said it cost him fifty dollars and it’s one of his favorite rifles  Hoping to get the chance to go shooting with him, he was there last week when I was filling on the transfer paperwork on my 95%+ Python circa 1957 and I am getting to know him.  

Still have not take a pic of the M94 just purchased from Al, but here is the 1957 Python I was referring to above.

1957-Python.jpgImage Enlarger  

For sure the action functions like an earlier gun, but the internal fit and polishing is not nearly as good. I have two Pythons, a 1961 and a 1967. Beautiful handguns, amongst Colts best.  Thanks, Big LarryDSCF9752.JPGImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
April 22, 2017 - 8:34 pm

Dan,

There are indeed differences between an 1898 or 1904 Model 1894 versus a 1950 production Model 94. To most, the subtle differences are hard to detect, but nonetheless, they exist. If you want one example, try swapping the butt stocks between a 1904 vintage Model 1894 and a 1950 vintage Model 94.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 1ned1, mrcvs, Antonio, TR, SureShot
Guest(s) 89
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055