Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Montgomery, Texas (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 114
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 30, 2017 - 12:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a couple of 1886 models that are both in very good condition.  one is a standard sporting rifle caliber 38-56 and the other is a fancy sporting rifle in caliber 40-82. 

The standard rifle has some of the most vivid cased coloring I have seen, while the fancy rifle has a diminished cased coloring which is bright but lacks the coloring.  I am confident that both are all original.

My question is really how does one rate cased coloring and what impact would it have on the overall condition and subsequent value.  My apologies for no photos, but none are available at this time.  Am hoping to get another peak at both rifles in the near future and may get a chance to snap a couple of pics.

Just curious as to what others think and treasure regarding overall condition versus special features.

Thanks

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
January 30, 2017 - 2:02 am

Mark,

“Vivid” case colors on a 100 year old Winchester cause concern/suspicion on my part. Does the rest of the rifle look like it is new? If not, that too is a suspicious. Even if the entire rifle looks like it left the factory yesterday, that causes me to question “how” is that possible. Frankly, I would be much more concerned about a “standard” rifle looking like it was never touched or handled than one of the Fancy Sporting Rifles.

If the case colors are original, the brighter they are, the higher the value will be.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
January 30, 2017 - 2:22 am

Mark,

You rate case color just like you do bluing. You rate the coverage by percentage based on the amount of color coverage. Case color can have several states of wear or age, Bright color, faded color, modeled  (you can see the pattern but it has no color) and then its just silver. Case color can also get a salt and pepper appearance with bad storage. A old guns value is determined by its rarity. The better its condition the more rare it is as with its features. A gun with lots of bright case colors is very desirable but like Bert said it can be too good. Pictures are the only way to tell for sure what you got. 

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
January 30, 2017 - 5:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback.  Never really thought about the notion of a standard gun being treated differently than a special order gun, but makes a lot of sense.

I am going to try and get some pictures to show everyone.  Probably wont happen until the rig count in west texas slows down a bit.  I am very interested in this as I really struggle with the finish and condition on any gun.  Almost prefer to purchase a gun that has no finish left and at least then you can have confidence that it was not refurbished!  Probably just another hurdle along the way of getting better at identifying originality

Regards,

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
January 31, 2017 - 3:43 am

Mark,

My favorite Winchesters have between 70% and 90% original finish on them. Once the finish level gets above 90%, I get nervous as heck, and tend to get overly critical in my inspection of said gun. I only own a handful of old Winchesters (out of 70 ) that grade well above the 90% mark, and that is intentional on my part.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
January 31, 2017 - 4:39 am

Bert H. said
Mark,
My favorite Winchesters have between 70% and 90% original finish on them. Once the finish level gets above 90%, I get nervous as heck, and tend to get overly critical in my inspection of said gun. I only own a handful of old Winchesters (out of 70 ) that grade well above the 90% mark, and that is intentional on my part.
Bert  

Bert

I totally agree with the 70-90% window of condition, for many reasons. To me, they actually look a little nicer than a 95%+ gun, I like some edge wear for contrast. You also get a much better feeling about originality. Lastly they are easier on my checkbook,…….. the best part for sure.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
February 2, 2017 - 4:39 am

Looking forward to some pics. I’m a big fan of 70-80% guns…probably because I can afford them and can be pretty confident that they’re honest guns. I’ve learned from Bert et al that 80-90% guns are better investments so I’ll be trying to upgrade my collection as finances permit…and the rig counts in S Denton county may help with that!

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
February 2, 2017 - 1:14 pm

know what you mean!  been working on that issue but in a different area.

will get some more detail in a couple of weeks and appreciate everyone’s feedback.

regards,

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
March 11, 2017 - 12:33 pm

A lot of good information shared here. 

Being a big 1886 fan, I hope you can get some photos.

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Member
March 31, 2017 - 2:21 am

Kevin Jones said
A lot of good information shared here. 

Being a big 1886 fan, I hope you can get some photos.  

Yep. Thinking pretty seriously about adding an 1886 to the herd in Cody. Y’all keep these 1886 threads coming. I’ve got a lot to learn before I shell out that kind of cash.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
March 31, 2017 - 4:51 pm

Passed on both.  One gun was a fancy deluxe that went for $18,000 and the one with the really nice cased color hardening, believe it to be original, went for $5500.  the last one had a couple of extra holes drilled in it for a peep sight; otherwise it was pretty nice!  the deluxe rifle was a 40-82 caliber and the standard rifle was a 38-56, sn 24840 and 86434 respectively.

you can view them at the A&S Auction in Waco Texas on their website.

regards,

WACA Member
April 1, 2017 - 12:52 am

I think A&S hosted the TGCA show last year. Seem like some pretty good folks.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, freebird1968
Guest(s) 160
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322