Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4968
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 18, 2017 - 1:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Odd, only been looking for a little while and one very much like I was looking for showed up at the orphanage a few days ago. It caught my eye Saturday but I needed to go home, research and think a bit. It may or may not be collector grade but it was very close to what I was hoping to spend so it will have to do. Gun is very solid mechanically, even a bit stiff maybe. May need a little de-gunking but I’ve handled very few 1886’s. Bore is quite good and cleaned up very quickly. Wood is a little rough, my theory is that it was owned by a back-country hunter as the marks seem consistent with a rifle in a scabbard rubbing against something, possibly a buckle. Screws are not buggared and sights look pretty good to me. Bluing on the barrel looks a bit splotchy to me, I can’t decide if it’s trying to turn to patina or if it’s been re-blued. Edges are sharp, numbers look good, no signs of being buffed. I bought it as re-blued but I honestly don’t know. If it was re-blued it was apparently awhile back. Appears to be a rust blue. Magazine is a darker blue, I wonder if it hasn’t been replaced. It doesn’t have as many dents as I was expecting to see.

IMG_1514.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1515.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1516-1.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1517-1.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1518.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1520.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
April 18, 2017 - 1:19 am

A few more pics:

IMG_1524.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1525.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1526.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1527.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1528.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1529.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1531-1.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1531.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1532.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1533.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1534.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1535.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1536.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_1537.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 25
April 18, 2017 - 2:10 am

I like it, are you planning on shooting this?    If you are planning on shooting it, do you bring it to a gunsmith for a full function and safety assessment?   Most of you guys do this yourself I suspect.      Hard for me to tell because I am new to all this, but it looks to be in great shape.   How does the action feel compared to your other winchesters.    Sorry for all the questions, I am really exited to get my 1886 so I guess I am living vicariously through you.  

My 1886 is coming hopefully next week and I will get it checked out by Mitch, a well known and highly regarded local smith who works out of the old Ruger factory in Fairfield CT.

What is the ‘orphanage’ you talk about in your opening post?

WACA Member
April 18, 2017 - 2:33 am

Yes, Dan, I shoot almost every gun I own. I looked it over quite closely and have no doubt it will fire just fine. It’s not near as slick as my 1892’s or even 1894’s but it looks and feels right as far as I can tell.

I buy many of my guns at the Library of my local Cabela’s store. At times some of their more interesting rifles come from estates so I’ve taken to calling it the “Orphanage” because I’ve “adopted” so many poor little waifs there that no longer had anyone to look out for them.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your 1886!

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2323
April 18, 2017 - 3:56 pm

I cannot seem to find the caliber of your M1886? Some of the ammo for these old rifles is very expensive. Mine is a 40-65 and a box of vintage ammo cost me around $400. I am still hoping to find an earlier box of black powder ammo as my rifle was made in 1890, but then I am getting into the $700 range with none available, and no, I will never shoot mine. Too many iffies and a very expensive rifle.    Big Larry

Kentucky
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 79
April 18, 2017 - 4:24 pm

Seems to be a very nice solid 86!  I frequently browse Cabelas orphanage as well and visited a few as well.  There are some very nice finds in my opinion there.  Very nice indeed.

Dave

WACA #10119

NRA Member

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1706
April 18, 2017 - 5:54 pm

TXGunNut said

I buy many of my guns at the Library of my local Cabela’s store.

Good to browse…but OUCH! Full retail, and then some!

I just try to avoid retail…

WACA Member
April 18, 2017 - 6:47 pm

It’s a 45-70, Larry. I can load and cast for it quite easily with minimal expense. IIRC the 40-65 is based on the 45-70 case, not a big deal but I prefer the 45-70. Not much on the 33 caliber either but sometimes there are more important things than the chambering. 

I do OK with the guys at my local Library. I do a fair bit of business there, we’re upfront with each other and have gotten to be pretty good friends. Not all Libraries are run this way, maybe they should be.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
April 18, 2017 - 10:13 pm

TXGunNut said
It’s a 45-70, Larry. I can load and cast for it quite easily with minimal expense. IIRC the 40-65 is based on the 45-70 case, not a big deal but I prefer the 45-70. Not much on the 33 caliber either but sometimes there are more important things than the chambering. 

I do OK with the guys at my local Library. I do a fair bit of business there, we’re upfront with each other and have gotten to be pretty good friends. Not all Libraries are run this way, maybe they should be.  

I have found Cabelas a very good place to get nice stuff. Sometimes the guys are spot on and other times they like to give stuff away. A while back, I was able to purchase a real nice M56 in 22 short at a Dundee, MI, Library for $1,100 and that included my states tax and shipping. Rifle is a good 95%+ with a mint bore. Included was a nice 22 short magazine. Serial number 1903 with a “26” bbl. date. One of the nicest M56’s I have ever seen.

Years ago, I had both a 45-70 and a 33 WCF in M1886. Put many a round through the 45-70. I used it to hunt Jackrabbits with in San Diego County back when that was legal.    Big Larry

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
April 18, 2017 - 10:43 pm

Congratulations on a nice looking old rifle!  I hope you get a great deal of enjoyment out of it.  I have been wanting an 1886, myself, but have never gotten around to buying one.

James

WACA Member
April 18, 2017 - 11:22 pm

We had a good laugh about the costs of getting set up for another cartridge relative to the price of an 1886. Seems silly but shelling out for dies, a bullet mould and possibly a supply of cases is considerable and I try to avoid it. Learning the characteristics of a new cartridge can be tedious at times.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
April 19, 2017 - 4:21 pm

TXGunNut said
We had a good laugh about the costs of getting set up for another cartridge relative to the price of an 1886. Seems silly but shelling out for dies, a bullet mould and possibly a supply of cases is considerable and I try to avoid it. Learning the characteristics of a new cartridge can be tedious at times.  

I had a friend in the Navy who used to get me cans of Line Throwing Blanks. They worked great for reloads.   Big Larry

WACA Member
April 19, 2017 - 8:01 pm

I have a few hundred pieces of brass and I’ve never lost any to wear or splitting. I have a hunting load for my Marlins but am kicking around a retro load for the 1886.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Member
April 19, 2017 - 10:09 pm

Michael, my one and only M1886 cost me dearly. A drippy mint takedown M1894 from 1903 in 32 Win. Special and a 98% 25-35 SRC a little late to letter.

So I was into the M1886 for near $8,000, but a great rifle it is. Still has 75% of its case color and a near perfect bore. It’s an antique, # 43324, as well. Made in 1890. I have bunches of Winchesters and I have to say, this is my favorite. There is nothing like a M1886, it does however, need a set of wheels. I guess they made folks stronger in the day. Lots of meat on the bbl of a 40-65. Enjoy your rifle.    Big Larry

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
April 20, 2017 - 8:36 am

Congrats on your 1886! Bet you’re going to enjoy it. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Member
April 21, 2017 - 1:00 am

Thanks guys, suspect I will indeed enjoy it. This one hefts like an artillery piece too, Larry. Octagon barrel makes for a pretty hefty rifle.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323