Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 32WCF options
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 26, 2017 - 2:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Greetings from Central IL and thank you for the knowledge and opportunities to learn and ask questions!  First about me, I am a shooter not so much a collector, which is why I bring my questions to you.  With the history of this rifle/model I do not wish to deter someone else from the enjoyment of preserving history and modifying it.

I purchased a small group of firearms from distant relative years back, for a small fee.  Among them was an 1885 chambered in 32WCF, s/n 44343, mfg. 1890.   This one is a bit rough, but not what I would consider un-safe to fire.  The bore is very dark, pitted and little if any rifling.  I actually slugged the barrel and would say no rifling, but you can see looking through the bore the faint lines. The exterior I would consider “good”, but that’s me.  Wood is solid with a few light fracture lines, nothing deep.  Receiver and internals look good and function flawlessly with the exception of this year the hammer won’t stay in cocked position.  Exterior of barrel could use some attention and I don’t believe the front sight is original, but rear buck horn appears to be.

First, for my families benefit where can I get an estimate on value.  With that other than this board where is the best place if its decided to sell.  This will help me with next questions also. I would like to clarify I do not wish to sell, But if it brings a premium I would rather sell to justify the purchase of a current model than to modify this one.

Second, if its determined to restore to as much of original as possible who do you recommend?  I would only shoot occasionally and cast and load my own, so can control that aspect of safety.

Third, concerning the hammer not staying back.  I have tore this rifle down to clean internally and did not find any broken parts.  What would cause this and where can I purchase replacement parts.  

Thanks for everyone’s input, Kevin

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
March 26, 2017 - 4:34 pm

Kevin,

Your Model 1885 Single Shot Rifle was manufactured late in the year 1890. It is a Plain Sporting (low-wall) Rifle. In the condition you describe, it is worth approximately $700. If it were mine, I would have the barrel bored out and relined back to 32 WCF. In regards to the hammer not staying at full cock, either the sear slot on the hammer is dirty (gummed up), or the tip of the sear is broken off. If you can take it apart to inspect those parts, take a clear close-up picture of them and send it to me.

Bert – [email protected]

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
March 26, 2017 - 8:42 pm

Bert, appreciate the feedback and honesty!  Actually it’s what i wanted to here as I would love to continue with this project refinishing the stock and turning it into the best cast shooter possible.

I posted some pictures on this site for members to review, but will send some detailed pictures your way.

https://www.goodsteelforum.com/forum/gunsmithing/15126-32wcf_the-highwall-project

I have heard good things about John Taylor, anyone else I should consider with restoring this one?  Also what options should I consider to have the barrel and receiver refinished? If any??  Not looking to spend extreme amounts of money to make it look original, but make it shoot straight.

Thanks,

Kevin

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160